up powering the Estes Redstone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Foster

Reaction score
I am trying to put a 24mm motor mount into the Estes Redstone which has that ST-20 odd size tube (2"). the Estes D-E motor conversion kit does not support this tube size. I could hack up the centering rings that came with the model (cut out a 24 mm hole where the 18mm is). Anybody tried to do this or similar?

Hand cutting centering rings can be a challenge but it’s a good skill to have - I’ll typically trace or photocopy the originals and go from there. That way I can preserve the originals until I have the modded versions done. Another way to make a ring template is to use the centering ring tool on the Payload Bay site or the “print” function in Open Rocket (OR can produce fin templates that way too).

For cardstock rings I cut out the centers first with a fresh hobby knife blade then do the outside cut with scissors staying outside the lines slightly so I can sand to fit.

Hand cutting centering rings can be a challenge but it’s a good skill to have - I’ll typically trace or photocopy the originals and go from there. That way I can preserve the originals until I have the modded versions done. Another way to make a ring template is to use the centering ring tool on the Payload Bay site or the “print” function in Open Rocket (OR can produce fin templates that way too).

For cardstock rings I cut out the centers first with a fresh hobby knife blade then do the outside cut with scissors staying outside the lines slightly so I can sand to fit.
Thanks! Those a good tips

I have always been of the mind that if it can take a bigger motor mount, it gets a bigger motor mount. Thus I have a 24mm Redstone a 24mm Fat Boy a 24mm Citation Patriot, and a 29mm Big Daddy (well, it started off as a Big Daddy, but now it's something else). I make my own centering rings whenever possible, but I've also ordered from eRockets when I'm feeling lazy.

But, invest in a hole cutting kit that plugs into your drill. Let's you make plywood CRs easy-peasy. Been using that for many of my 3" and bigger projects. Also comes in handy for nosecone bulkheads since I almost never use the built-in little plastic bit for tying on the shockcord. I prefer plywood and a nice eyebolt.

I have always been of the mind that if it can take a bigger motor mount, it gets a bigger motor mount. Thus I have a 24mm Redstone a 24mm Fat Boy a 24mm Citation Patriot, and a 29mm Big Daddy (well, it started off as a Big Daddy, but now it's something else).
Do you add extra nose weight for them when flying 24mm?

Here is what you want.... ST-20 centering rings with a BT50 (24mm) hole

https://www.erockets.biz/semroc-centering-rings-plywood-bt-50-to-st-20-2pk-sem-cr-50-20p/
I used to do conversions like this, but no longer need to with the 18mm Qjet composites. Have you considered using those?
Very good; I have looked at that but have not used them yet; spec sheet says their 18mm D motors rate at 13N-s vs Estes C motors at 10N-s which is significant. I did order some E35 motors from them and after 3 weeks they still have not shipped-I am starting a new thread on that.
thanks!

Well, since I always do the nosecone bulkhead and eyebolt, 99% of the time that generates enough noseweight to balance it out, especially on the smaller rockets like the BT-60 based ones... but, yes, sometimes I add 3 extra washers to the eyebolt because I feel it just needs a little more. Haven't had a problem yet. And the Fatboy flies great on 24mm D motors. A real crowd pleaser.

I’ve done a fair number of up-powering - it’s easy to go big and then use an adapter to go smaller - and try to keep it simple, I add the difference between the heaviest upsized motor I would use and the heaviest original recommended (or simmed) motor plus a 3-ish percent fudge factor. Sometimes this pushes the weight too high to use the lowest powered adapted motor but it’s usually a wash performancewise.

Back