Unique Igniters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I am looking for various igniter and blank designs for low and high power from both a current and historical prospective. Please post your photos. They can be hand made.

Last edited:
I see you haven't received any response, what exactly does igniter blank designs mean?

Igniter blanks are predipped igniters. They do not have pyrogen on them. I changed it to igniters or blanks.

HPR Igniter Blanks.png
These are the only styles I ever made. Bottom one was an experiment to increase reliability with redundant bridgewires instead of redundant igniters.

How did the experiment turn out?

Sandy.
They worked ok, but my overall reliability improved with a different pyrogen and no longer needed. In general, they are only good for large nozzle / cored motors. due to increased size.

It has occurred to me to strip a section of fine wire, fold it back on itself, lightly sand the tip to locally increase resistance.

Not sure it would work, yet another think to test someday; or better, someone will point me to discussion of something similar.

It has occurred to me to strip a section of fine wire, fold it back on itself, lightly sand the tip to locally increase resistance.

I've ignited BP with 18 gauge stranded copper zip cord stripped and trimmed to a single strand per side, and loosely twisted together. Similar idea, going for a single point of contact to increase resistance. The 7.2V Makita battery was industry standard cordless power at the time and started it right up.

I've ignited BP with 18 gauge stranded copper zip cord stripped and trimmed to a single strand per side, and loosely twisted together. Similar idea, going for a single point of contact to increase resistance. The 7.2V Makita battery was industry standard cordless power at the time and started it right up.

Can you make a blank and take a photo?

20210509_171751.jpg
Wires, Kapton tape, Nichrome 32G. I use 2 18650 Cells in series, lights this up red hot within a second. The Kapton tape is needed, otherwise the insulation would melt instantly and cause a shorts making it ineffective. Its a delicate process, but super cheap and effective. Has not let me down yet.

I don't have any photos, but I heard of an experiment with laser diodes. With 110 volts dumped into them, they reliably ignited motors, although it wasn't clear to me if that was from the intense light output or from the diode exploding.

Good shooter's wire has gone up, so I salvage the spent long ones (Not the pink Chinese stuff). The test is can you strip it with your thumbnail? Then standard procedure w/34-36 nichrome. Nothing I fly now requires folding or double dipping. I still have one double dipped from Sheri's Rockets back in the day. And a few Daveyfires. Looking forward to trying the new dip from Dave w/ boron in it. Too expensive to order by the pound. Don't fly enough as it is. Please help Covid go away! Ask Crazy Jim about the "Nuclear Bananna". Tell him Dave sent ya!

Back