[uk] Ukra

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm after the raffle yesterday at EARS I'm now in possesion of one of <a href="https://www.rocketstore.co.uk/shop/product.asp?numRecordPosition=20&P_ID=430&strPageHistory=man&strKeywords=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=0">these</a> which if i get a chance this week I may have ready (at least in a naked form) to fly at UKRA, however since I'm busy building my rocket to take to LDRS theres a good chance it won't happen, however I may join the crowd and go for my MAP certification at UKRA, can you got for all the flights at all levels in one day? That could be a challenge ;)

Cath

Originally posted by bfo
However I may join the crowd and go for my MAP certification at UKRA, can you got for all the flights at all levels in one day? That could be a challenge ;)

I just checked the rules and it seems I cannot do the above challenge.

From MAP Handbook:
"Only one task may be attempted on any given day but, if a Model Rocketeer fails a task, the same task may be attempted again on the same day"

Oh well there goes that daft idea.

Cath

Originally posted by Mike 8-{>
I'll be hoping to have my scale Ariane 5 there. It is quite big though. I've to go borrow a really big trailer to tow it up to Pete's. Not sure how many motors it will need to lift it. I'm thinking a cluster of 6 to 8 Ms ought to shift it nicely. Hopefully you will all see it as you arrive at UKRA :D

Otherwise I dunno. Hope to fix sully Roc in time for a succesfull flight. And, if I get time, my other 4 " jobbie to go on a K660.

Might try and get some MAP qualifying flights in too while I am i the mood.

Mike 8-{>

Bugger me, excuse my english.

Have you got any pictures ?

Didnt that one blow up in real life ?

Originally posted by rocketstoreuk
Bugger me, excuse my english.

Have you got any pictures ?

Didnt that one blow up in real life ?

Pictures won't be needed, you'll see it for yourself, and most impressive it is.

Cath

Mike,

are you planning on launching your Ariane 5 at UKRA or are you just bringing it for display ?

Pete

Originally posted by hartrockets
Mike,

are you planning on launching your Ariane 5 at UKRA or are you just bringing it for display ?

Pete

Pete,

I've got lots of photos of it already "somewhere" on the web, but I don't want to spoil the element of surprise :)

You will not be disappointed with it when you see it, whether he launches it or not :)

All the best,

Richard

Sounds like some good stuff is planned....

Weather permitting (and so far the forecast looks superb) i'll be launching my scratchbuilt Sirius 3 ATV on a Pro54 L730

a few details

Diameter: 3" (76mm) (Carbon/Kevlar reinforced airframe)
Length: 8' 9" (2.7m)
Dry Weight: 7.5lbs (3.4kg)
Max Sim'd Velocity: ~900Mph (Mach 1.2)

Also on board will be a second RDAS plus GPS and Telemetery modules to
provide extensive data during entire flight.

See you all Friday!

Cheers

Iain

UKRA #1274 L2

Dunno what to fly yet, because I can't remember what I have left in storage in the UK. Never did find enough round tuits to build a rocket for the 38mm SRS set, but I will find plenty by IRW ;)

Regarding the MAP rule that BFO pointed out...
My personal opinion *without* the UKRA hat on is that it is a daft rule.
*With* my UKRA hat on... I have proposed that that rule is removed. (I agree with that rule for HPR certs, but not MAP)

I am impressed and encouraged at the number of people (many of whom are quite experienced) that are actually taking up the challenge of MAP :)

My personal opinion is that the rule is daft, not the idea to complete all levels in 1 event ;)

Hey Banksi

Tha sounds like an awesome rocket,ill be looking out for that one:D

welcome to the forum(posting wise :) )by the way,i think there will quite a lot of TRF dudes launching stuff this weekend:)

OH yeah and dont forget..... PICTURES:cool:

Originally posted by arthur dent
Tha sounds like an awesome rocket,ill be looking out for that one:D
Oh yes! expect to see 12,000ft :D if this flys as designed it will be upscaled to 4" airframe and will become my Level 3 bird....

welcome to the forum(posting wise :) )by the way,i think there will quite a lot of TRF dudes launching stuff this weekend:)
I cant believe I have been registerd a year and only just got round to posting...

OH yeah and dont forget..... PICTURES:cool:
Well I may have to leave that in the capable hands of the budding David Baileys, I will be too busy with holding a Yagi for the telemetry downlink ;)

Cheers

Iain

UKRA #1274 L2

All being well I will be taking photos of most HPR flights with my Canon 350D, so will do my best to get yours.

Pete

Well folks, just got back from doing some glassing on a rocket of mine.

Might try for Level 2 for it over the weekend. Wish me luck!

Karl

Originally posted by andysrockets
Regarding the MAP rule that BFO pointed out...
My personal opinion *without* the UKRA hat on is that it is a daft rule.
*With* my UKRA hat on... I have proposed that that rule is removed. (I agree with that rule for HPR certs, but not MAP)

I am impressed and encouraged at the number of people (many of whom are quite experienced) that are actually taking up the challenge of MAP :)

My personal opinion is that the rule is daft, not the idea to complete all levels in 1 event ;)

As the probable originator of that rule, I concur. I can't say I remember the reasoning behind it!

Originally posted by hokkyokusei
As the probable originator of that rule, I concur. I can't say I remember the reasoning behind it!

Hmmm ... a bit of 'devils advocate-ing' here.

The MAP scheme is meant as a way of educating and developing younger or inexperienced flyers - yes?. Or have I misunderstood it.

If the above is close, then it seems to me that doing all the tasks up to L3 in one event is too much of a rush and should be discouraged. If I were a youngster just making my way through all the stages I might feel a bit pushed out by some experienced L2 or even more impressive L3er blitzing the lot in one event. I might even feel the scheme was devalued.

The situation with launches in the UK is good enough to give several opportunities in one season and I would even relent as far as that one 'level' in one day is perfectly acceptable.

A late and much respected mentor of mine told me "You only get two things by being hasty - black eyes and babies"

Hope to see a few of you at UKRA2006, I won't be flying as all my gear is in storage pending house move and I won't be stopping too late as "this week I are mostly been wearing ice packs" - on my lower back - and helping buy my chiropracter a new Bentley :(

Originally posted by North Star
Hmmm ... a bit of 'devils advocate-ing' here.

The MAP scheme is meant as a way of educating and developing younger or inexperienced flyers - yes?. Or have I misunderstood it.

If the above is close, then it seems to me that doing all the tasks up to L3 in one event is too much of a rush and should be discouraged. If I were a youngster just making my way through all the stages I might feel a bit pushed out by some experienced L2 or even more impressive L3er blitzing the lot in one event. I might even feel the scheme was devalued.

Ah, yes it was originally intended for the younger end of the membership. I think that may have had something to do with it.

Regarding the MAP, my theory is that it is supposed to promote rocketry primarily to the younger market (although it is open to everybody). Promoting rocketry means letting people fly, not preventing them from flying.
I think the less experienced would be sensible, and not attempt more than 2-3 flights per event (and many of those would possibly be due to not being able to fly at a previous event).
The more experienced see MAP as a challenge, with a number of things to tick off the list, and many want to tick off everything (not just the necessary number of tasks). Even I haven't ticked everything off yet, but given the interest, I certainly will !

Originally posted by andysrockets
Regarding the MAP, my theory is that it is supposed to promote rocketry primarily to the younger market (although it is open to everybody). Promoting rocketry means letting people fly, not preventing them from flying.
I think the less experienced would be sensible, and not attempt more than 2-3 flights per event (and many of those would possibly be due to not being able to fly at a previous event).
The more experienced see MAP as a challenge, with a number of things to tick off the list, and many want to tick off everything (not just the necessary number of tasks). Even I haven't ticked everything off yet, but given the interest, I certainly will !

I take the point that North Star makes about devaluing the programme, if an inexperienced flier were to be discouraged by an experienced flier completing the program in a single day, but you could also take the view that _any_ participation by experienced fliers increases the perceived value in the eyes of a relative newcomer.

For years the MAP suffered greatly from lack of participation, and if this change would raise the profile and increases participation, then I would welcome it.

What's the rush? It's not a race is it? IMO there's greater value in seeing a few experienced rocketeers working their way steadily through all the tasks than watching lots of people blitzing six flights in a single day...

Anyhoo, this weekend I'm planning to launch the lightweight 3" project I've been building on a Contrail I500, 3x24mm and 7x18mm BP clusters (7x18 on Saturday night), my 4" Binder Design Samurai on a WCH I110 (again) and my little blue and yellow rocket on a H153. I've also got a few BP models I want to launch and a new tent which doesn't leak!

I should be there sometime tomorrow evening, hopefully before it gets dark....

My ETA @ Heckington station is about 1700hrs tomorrow :D

The train service back from Heckington to Notts/Derby is off on Sunday, and although they've laid on a coach from Sleaford to Notts, I really don't fancy spending 1 1/2 hrs in a stuffy coach full of chav families returning from a week at Skeggy. The trains are back to normal on the Monday, so will it be ok for me to camp the Sunday night at Pete's? Anybody know? I don't mind mucking in with the clearing away. ;)

Just got off the blower from Malcom .... no AT Es, so my Starburst won't be comming with me; BUT he has got motors suitable for my Lil'Nuke, so it will fly at last! :D (been nearly 2yrs since I made it)

Will have a look through my store tonight ( Thurs ) I am sure I have a selection of SU E motors plus some RMS...I'm hoping to throw the Saturn V up on an E15 4W, I'll be bringing both ammo boxes of motors...

I have NO ignitors though...but thats maybe not too much of a problem, Hokky if you're out there do you have any of 'your' ignitors to hand...

Pete

Originally posted by starbug
I have NO ignitors though...but thats maybe not too much of a problem, Hokky if you're out there do you have any of 'your' ignitors to hand...

Even if I did, they wouild be pretty old by now. Will bring makings if I get there on Saturday. What time are you setting off? Will you have room for my motor stash, if I call you Saturday morning?

We'd like to be on the road by 9.30am at the latest. We have offloaded Starbug junior to her Grandma & Grandad, so will be able to stay for the fireworks!!

Funny you should mention your motor stash. It will easily fit in the car. I have the "makings" of said ignitors, except for some fine wire. Searched everywhere at work, but to no avail.

Pete

Originally posted by starbug
Funny you should mention your motor stash. It will easily fit in the car. I have the "makings" of said ignitors, except for some fine wire. Searched everywhere at work, but to no avail.

OK, well I've certainly got some of that - will bring some along. There is probably an E or two in the box as well, so bring them along - I'll let cyder sell his soul to the devil in return for one ;)

Originally posted by hokkyokusei
I'll let cyder sell his soul to the devil in return for one ;)
Too late - I've listened to a Rolling Stones record backwards ... theres no hope for me! :D

I've listened to a Rolling Stones record backwards ... theres no hope for me!

There was no hope for you before you listened to anything forwards OR backwards! :D

See ya Saturday!

Angela

Originally posted by cydermaster
Too late - I've listened to a Rolling Stones record backwards ... theres no hope for me! :D

I reckon the last time there was any hope for you was in about 1976.

Originally posted by cydermaster
My ETA @ Heckington station is about 1700hrs tomorrow :D
The trains are back to normal on the Monday, so will it be ok for me to camp the Sunday night at Pete's? Anybody know? I don't mind mucking in with the clearing away. ;)

Yes, it will be fine. It's not unusual to see people who are camping, roll up on Thursday and leave on Monday at UKRA :)

I suspect you will end up mucking in with the clearing away though, although as you say, you don't mind :) and to be honest, it will give you plenty of opportunity to get to chat to people and chill on Sunday evening too :)

All the best,

Richard
(really frustrated that I'm not up there 'til Saturday morning and not able to stay Sunday night this year :-( )

UKRA Lost and Found

Hi all,

Finally left Pete's this morning and have a collection of stuff that
was left behind and a request for anyone who saw....

Found
1 Black and Decker mini drill kit
1 stomp rocket
1 minidisk player
1 Soldering Iron + stand

If any of these are yours and you want them back please contact me
with identifying marks and I will arrange return.

Found and owner identified
Motorla phone charger - will be on it's way Dan ;0)
Folding chair - Paul Carter - how do I get it back to you?
PARS notebook - will be returned

Lost
1 Digicam - last seen possibly on grass verge opposite Pete's. If
anyone found a camera and wonders who it belongs to then please
contact me.

Cheers Mike 8-{>

UKRA #1208 L2 RSO EARS # 1118
TRA #3207 L1

Back