UK Rocket, Skybolt 2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Nokes

Reaction score
Hello all

Can anyone help me out with the dimensions of the UK's Skybolt 2 rocket?
I'm from England living in the USA and I would like to make this project.
Thank you

A little time with Google got me nowhere; you probably had the same experience except that now this very thread is one of the few hits.

You might try asking Starchaser. Tell them that you're interested in making a flying model, and they could very well be happy to help.

Man, Skybolt 2 really looks like some sort of giant upscale of an Estes rocket.

Their fin attachment looks "scary" . . .

Dave F.

171305756_3965308523506774_4805752756223541877_n.jpg

1647835778678.png

This thing is more of an "amateur rocket", than a serious effort.

Dave F.

Hey Dave
I agree, on the [profile, it shows it flies to 4000ft separates, deploys and back it comes. Its like an Estes kit on steroids. Interesting how they attach the fins using that metal angles with the holes along ot, could that be scaled do to our model rockets you think

Interesting how they attach the fins using that metal angles with the holes along ot, could that be scaled do to our model rockets you think.
In a cursory search I did not find aluminum angle smaller than 3/4". I also found polystyrene angle from 1.5 mm to 1/4". Neither the aluminum nor the plastic that I found come with holes, so one would have to drill one's own.

In a cursory search I did not find aluminum angle smaller than 3/4". I also found polystyrene angle from 1.5 mm to 1/4". Neither the aluminum nor the plastic that I found come with holes, so one would have to drill one's own.
That wouldn't be bad though, I wonder is some Oak angle which my RC shop sells because i build RC planes too. That would be hard to withstand wear and tear and fin attachment

What's so bad about drilling one's own holes? For the attachment to the body tube the holes only have to be close enough to perfect for looks. For the fin attachment they need to match, but that's easy to: attach both pieces to the tube, put the undrilled fin between the undrilled surfaces of the angles, then drill through all three pieces at once.

Also, one could (pretty closely) duplicate the look by simply gluing small angle into fin-tube joints instead of applying fillets. And I think that would do the fillets' job quite well. And one could put one of them on the tube before the fin and it would be like the cheaters the - I think it's @BABAR - uses.

What's so bad about drilling one's own holes? For the attachment to the body tube the holes only have to be close enough to perfect for looks. For the fin attachment they need to match, but that's easy to: attach both pieces to the tube, put the undrilled fin between the undrilled surfaces of the angles, then drill through all three pieces at once.

Also, one could (pretty closely) duplicate the look by simply gluing small angle into fin-tube joints instead of applying fillets. And I think that would do the fillets' job quite well. And one could put one of them on the tube before the fin and it would be like the cheaters the - I think it's @BABAR - uses.

I think drilling the holes is easy enough, I might try it sometime on a model

Last edited:
Back