• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

two Estes PNC-60AH nose cones (as found on Mean Machine, Der Red Max, etc)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
A pair of builds are held up due to a lack of PNC-60AH nose cones. The nearest balsa ones I've found from Semroc, just don't 'do' it for me.

Can anybody help me find a pair of these? The Estes site doesn't have them listed, and the PNC-60A parts don't include them. Couldn't find them on Ebay, or Amazon, and I don't want to have to buy two rockets just for the nose cones.

Thanks
Jim

Unfortunately, the easiest way to get PNC-60AH nose cones these days is to rob them from another kit. I actually bought a Mean Machine get get the cone for an Omega clone back in the 1998 - 2000 time frame. Also used some other parts in the Mean Machine on the Omega clone. If you are trying to upscale some BT-50 kits, (I believe that you are upscaling a Yellow Jacket and a Super Nova) probably the best solution is to order a BNC-60Y from Semroc. This is the closest stock part available to the two-piece injection molded PNC-50YR that has been used in many Estes Kits since the late 80s. To me the PNC-60AH is not a close approximation of an upscaled PNC-50Y or PNC-50YR. The former is more elliptical and the latter two are tangent ogives (not secant ogive like the BNC-60ACs that you bought). YMMV.

Unfortunately, the easiest way to get PNC-60AH nose cones these days is to rob them from another kit. I actually bought a Mean Machine get get the cone for an Omega clone back in the 1998 - 2000 time frame. Also used some other parts in the Mean Machine on the Omega clone. If you are trying to upscale some BT-50 kits, (I believe that you are upscaling a Yellow Jacket and a Super Nova) probably the best solution is to order a BNC-60Y from Semroc. This is the closest stock part available to the two-piece injection molded PNC-50YR that has been used in many Estes Kits since the late 80s. To me the PNC-60AH is not a close approximation of an upscaled PNC-50Y or PNC-50YR. The former is more elliptical and the latter two are tangent ogives (not secant ogive like the BNC-60ACs that you bought). YMMV.

You're correct, I'm upscaling the Yellow Jacket, and the Supernova. I'm also making a Patriot, and a replica of the Estes Omega payloader. Since the Yellow Jacket won't be getting its nosecone swapped out, I now have a spare BNC-60AC. I may try to upscale my old (lost) Defender (#1924) too.

In looking at Semroc's BNC-60Y, to me it looks to be pointed, whereas the PNC-50Y has a blunt point. When I hold the PNC-50Y in front of the PNC-60AH and space them to get the look nearly the same size, they look to me to be pretty darned close (more-so if it wasn't for the glare off of those glossy finishes)

PNC-50Y compared to BNC-60AC and the PNC-50Y compared to PNC-60AH

All The Best!
Jim

Last edited:
Got my two nosecones... Thanks Keith!

Now, after all that, I find out that Semroc has just released the BNC-60YP (Estes PNC-50Y upscale).

Now I need a pair of those. :facepalm:
All the Best!
Jim

Back