Two Dots of Superglue and the Fin is Tacked on Perfectly

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my experience, they aren't air bubbles per sē. They are voids created by the wood glue settling into the joint as the wood glue starts to dry. If they were air bubbles, you'd see them as soon as the fillet was applied.

And that's a good thing. The glue is going where you want it to go, to do the bonding you want it to do.

The body tube you are using... where did you get it from?

In my experience, they aren't air bubbles per sē. They are voids created by the wood glue settling into the joint as the wood glue starts to dry. If they were air bubbles, you'd see them as soon as the fillet was applied.

And that's a good thing. The glue is going where you want it to go, to do the bonding you want it to do.

The body tube you are using... where did you get it from?
Good point! Yes, I had heard that, while maybe not pretty, the voids are evidence that your glue is flowing into the crevices, starting to cure, and doing its job.

This is a standard Estes 18 inch BT-60 body tube. These come in a three pack: https://estesrockets.com/product/003089-bt-60-body-tube/

If you slot your tubes and use tabs on your fins they will stay where you put them also - just sayin ;)
Good point! Funny you should say that. At a recent "make and take" session for 50+ years old first time rocket builders, one team built a Quest "Payloader One" rocket which comes with a slotted body tube. The other team built a Quest "Full Moon" rocket that did not have a slotted body tube. The Payloader One was easy to assemble with the slotted body tube and matching fin set. The Full Moon gave us some trouble. The slick, shiny white body tube did not want to let the fins tack on, no matter how much we tried. We eventually resorted to using some CA glue to make them stay on.

I have thought about putting slots in my scratch built rockets but have resisted. I am lazy. I would have to do some math and some careful measurements to make sure that the slots, the fin tabs, and the motor mount match up correctly. I would have to notch the fins to create the tabs. Then I would have to carefully cut out the slots, at the right spots, being careful not to cut too much.

I am just whining and complaining. I will try to cut out my own body tube slots on my next scratch build.

Oooo! I just checked out your Facebook page. Those are some very pretty models! Nice work!

Those bubbles/voids/whatever are inevitable with a liquidy wood glue, especially in the deep crevices where tubes join.

I make the first fillet very thin and then top it with Quick and Thick, and the end result is usually good. Even the Q+T can bubble on lug fillets, but it’s much less likely on the second layer.

Those bubbles/voids/whatever are inevitable with a liquidy wood glue, especially in the deep crevices where tubes join.

I make the first fillet very thin and then top it with Quick and Thick, and the end result is usually good. Even the Q+T can bubble on lug fillets, but it’s much less likely on the second layer.
I'll second the Quick and Thick stuff; still bubbles on occassion, but far less than regular wood or white glue.

After using the Aleene’s Tacky Glue and still getting voids in my launch lug fillets, I have a new approach:

Does it look good from 10 feet away? Good enough.

View attachment 567863

I don’t see any air bubbles in the fillets…

Kind of looks like an Olympic Torch....

OK, so now you have to explain the purple rocket, and the banner on it. :questions:

Last edited:
Kind of looks like an Olympic Torch....

OK, so now you have to explain the purple rocket, and the banner on it. :questions:
It is a cool lamp made by a local Colorado artist out of found materials. My girlfriend got it for me as a present. :)

The medals belong to my girlfriend. She got them participating in a triathlon many years ago.

My girlfriend loves me and gives me cool things. :)

88AE93FA-4818-4B03-B8D8-49D716C7CB1E.jpeg

E9DC0B15-9338-4BF8-89C8-A4589CD44A23.jpeg

BAD19913-E8E8-4DC4-B19F-1BB4B4B5A956.jpeg

i recently used up a bottle of loctite yellow, which was awesome... very fast set when finnin'. couldn't find another online so i bought some gorilla yellow. much slower set, but dries nicer and cleans well. imma try the ca method on the next set (at least the first fin) and see how it works. love learning new modelling mojo. regarding slotted tubes, i don't like 'em. when using pvc, or similarly dense material, i can see how they would be the way to go, but with paper it makes the base end of tube structurally fragile, easily creased. also, it smacks of E2X. like some others, i prefer old school difficulty. i enjoy fin patterns, tracing, and cutting; measuring shrouds, sanding down dowels, et al.

i recently used up a bottle of loctite yellow, which was awesome... very fast set when finnin'. couldn't find another online so i bought some gorilla yellow. much slower set, but dries nicer and cleans well. imma try the ca method on the next set (at least the first fin) and see how it works. love learning new modelling mojo. regarding slotted tubes, i don't like 'em. when using pvc, or similarly dense material, i can see how they would be the way to go, but with paper it makes the base end of tube structurally fragile, easily creased. also, it smacks of E2X. like some others, i prefer old school difficulty. i enjoy fin patterns, tracing, and cutting; measuring shrouds, sanding down dowels, et al.

"with paper it makes the base end of tube structurally fragile, easily creased."

Only if the TTW fin can attachments are not properly implemented. The fins are glued to the internal motor tube, the fins are glued to the outer body tube and the internal motor tube is attached to the outer body tube via a front and rear centering ring. That construction is stronger in every aspect compared to just gluing the fins to the outside of the body tube.

Granted TTW construction may be overkill, depending on the design of the rocket, but there's nothing "structurally fragile" about a TTW fin can.

"with paper it makes the base end of tube structurally fragile, easily creased."

Only if the TTW fin can attachments are not properly implemented. The fins are glued to the internal motor tube, the fins are glued to the outer body tube and the internal motor tube is attached to the outer body tube via a front and rear centering ring. That construction is stronger in every aspect compared to just gluing the fins to the outside of the body tube.

Granted TTW construction may be overkill, depending on the design of the rocket, but there's nothing "structurally fragile" about a TTW fin can.

i see your point. not questioning post-construction. my little experience is with a cosmic explorer, which is slotted, and the sections between the slots at the base were creased in the package. same with a crossover isx (?) i think. tube is not 'true' cylinder, which kind of annoys me as well. for ballistics, who gives a pancake, but for modelling and tricking the eye it makes it more difficult. those little sections at the base soften a bit with the glue, then tear a little, and you better not have to turn that engine mount a little inside the tube after you insert it...

i see your point. not questioning post-construction. my little experience is with a cosmic explorer, which is slotted, and the sections between the slots at the base were creased in the package. same with a crossover isx (?) i think. tube is not 'true' cylinder, which kind of annoys me as well. for ballistics, who gives a pancake, but for modelling and tricking the eye it makes it more difficult. those little sections at the base soften a bit with the glue, then tear a little, and you better not have to turn that engine mount a little inside the tube after you insert it...

For sure requires a high skill level builder.

After using the Aleene’s Tacky Glue and still getting voids in my launch lug fillets, I have a new approach:

Does it look good from 10 feet away? Good enough.

View attachment 567863

I don’t see any air bubbles in the fillets…
ALEENE'S shrinks but I get way fewer bubbles than Elmer's. Titebond trim glue is even better. With the patience of a Jedi I watch the tiny bubbles form and then pop them with a stick pin yelling "I gotcha you little b**terd!" But I also like to watch paint dry in our dry climate. Usually being able to tip or rotate the rocket to avoid runs, drip or errors.

Back