Transparent Black Paint

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Runs in tinted clears will ruin the finish, requiring complete stripping back to the base, or to the primer if the base is soluble in the carrier solvent.
I hadn't even noticed that part before. Since my base layer is metal leaf, having potentially to sand down to the base is a deal breaker as well.

A real spray gun is out of the question. Mixing is pointless unless it makes what I can apply with a brush.

Ulexis's suggestion is probably what I'll try.

Could be a challenge if you're not using spray equipment. Mainly it allows you to mix to your desired effect and even proper coats. First thing that comes to mind is a clear- 2 part or single, mixed with black toner/candy concentrate or a black/black pearl pigment. It will get you your desired effect. You can use the K harbor freight spray gun for $14 with some fittings to a small compressor and lacquer thinner for clean up. Ive used it with great results and still use it. You can also buy HOK SG100 as an easy 1 part( it needs RU311 reducer though) clear or 2 part Axalta 498 or 496 clear with mid-temp activator(does not use reducer). You can also airbrush these with the harbor freight (the nicer) airbrush or any off brand higher end air brush, which I use too. Createx also makes stuff you can use too. I've used their colors and put regular clear over them. Their clear and transparent clear is a bit opaque and haven't used that but I belive they dry "clear". You could then mix different colors or pigment.

Also Tamiya makes those acrylic paint jars and has a "smoke" tinted color that is probably closer to what you want. You can also airbrush with their paint by using their thinner.

Here ya go.. A rattle can of transparent colors. The killer can. Lots of other killer can finishes, too, though personally, I almost never use rattle cans. Eastwood flat black primer is one that I do keep in the paint cabinet. It can be used as a standalone flat black for some projects.

Alsa makes some really cool finishes. They do not give them away, though. Their black candy is less purple than some other brands, but still slightly purple.

https://alsacorp.com/product/candy-concentrates/

Back