Tough Fins

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DynaSoar

Reaction score
When Jeff was building his Stormcaster, I had the idea of using some carbon sleeve for laminating them. It made them strong. Very strong. Very VERY strong. They're all that survived. They're still in perfect shape. I have no doubt he'll be able to cut the rest of the stuff off and reuse them on another rocket.

there was just a puff of smoke I dont know why it did not eject but it sure made a cool shound as came back down.

Okay, bring me in, what's carbon sleeve? And where do you get it?

The fins survived but you forgot to wrap the Blackbox in the carbon sleeves,

we will never know what happened....:p

Originally posted by akpilot
Okay, bring me in, what's carbon sleeve? And where do you get it?

Carbon fiber cloth woven into a seamless tube or sleeve.
See Aerosleeve.com
Far easier to work with than flat cloth. Intended to doing tubes.

For fins, stick the fins in the sleeve, pull the ends tight like a Chinese finger puzzle (with the leading edge against the edge of the sleeve, for easier finishing) and rub in your epoxy. The wood soaks up some so a second coat of epoxy helps make them end up smoother.

I then set them on wax paper, cover with more wax paper and a piece of sheetrock, and set 100 pounds of stuff on it to press them.

Next day, peel them off, trim with a knife, and sand down the edges. Pain with urethane, wet sand, repeat. Final coats of acrylic. Beautiful sexy 3D carbon fiber finish.

There's also fiberglass sleeve, but carbon loos so much cooler, and finished flatter. Glass needs a filler like Superfil to make flat.

The finish makes them tough to make stick to a sount but it can be done with regular HPR fin mount technique.

Balsa: it's not just for low power anymore.

Originally posted by Reed Goodwin
That's insane. Any idea what altitude it fell from?
Reed

Must have been at least 500-600 feet.

It made an awesome whistling noise coming down.

Latest posts

Back