Tornado

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby_hamill

Reaction score
Just a heads up as there was an EF2 Tornado that touched down 20 miles south of my home.
The Nash County small towns of Dortches NC and Battleboro NC sustained heavy damage with
some injuries but no deaths. Just north of Rocky Mount NC on highway 301 the Pfizer Pharmaceutical
plant was heavily damaged The Tornado traveled from Red Oak NC east to Scotland Neck . Interstate 95
was closed in both directions at MP 141 for about 2 hours. All of this started around noon today .

Bobby

"
There have been 1,088 preliminary filtered reported tornadoes,[2] and 894 confirmed tornadoes in the United States in 2023. Worldwide, 95 tornado-related deaths have been confirmed, 74 of them in the United States, nine in Indonesia, eight in Myanmar, three in Turkey, and one in Saudi Arabia.

January saw the third-highest number of tornado watches and confirmed tornadoes of any January on record in the United States.[3] Additionally, the first two months of the year saw the fourth-highest number of confirmed tornadoes for the first 59 days of any year on record.[4] In addition, the year has been especially deadly with many killer tornadoes. By April 5, 63 tornadic fatalities had been recorded in the United States, which was almost three times higher than all of 2022, which had 23.[5] Although below average tornadic activity occurred in May and June, multiple killer tornadoes touched down with nine more fatalities in the latter month."

Mind boggling vid of huge tornado tearing a wind farm apart.
I saw some drone video of the same tornado showing it damage a big barn and topple a turbine. There were 3 of the turbines total on the ground at that location. The video clearly showed high winds a good distance away from the dark part of the funnel. The one turbine went over while the dark funnel was still some distance away from it, maybe 1000'. I didn't understand how they got good steady video from the drone less than a mile, maybe 1/2 mile, from the funnel.

Back