Tool guys: What is this?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peartree

Cyborg Rocketeer
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
My grandfather was a German immigrant that repaired turbine generators in-situ. I have inherited many of his tools. Among them was this measuring instrument. It's a little like an adjustable square. It has one screw adjustment that loosens to dlide along the long axis or tightens to lock in place. The second screw, at right angles to the first, extends and retracts a small tab (only a half, to an inch of movement) along the flat plate that perpendicular to the main axis.20230704_211356.jpg

20230704_211406.jpg

Any idea what it is?

Here's a pic of one.....

289attachment.jpg

s6

[edit]

Basically what he said, but I didn't go so far as to get an example, so stealth6 for the win!

[/edit]

Based on the screw and knurled nut shapes, it is far from young, which I prefer in my tooling. . .

Attachments

• IMG_6608.jpg
    IMG_6608.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Awesome! Thanks folks. That makes a lot of sense and I have another of my grandfather's Starret steel rules that might well have belonged with this one.

Based on the screw and knurled nut shapes, it is far from young, which I prefer in my tooling. . .

No this is certainly not young. My grandfather fought for the Kaiser in WW1 before immigrating to the U.S., and retired from Westinghouse in the 1960's (or earlier).

Latest posts

Back