Tomahawk simulation

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_byte31

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am new here and I was interested about the Tomahawk cruise missle since I was young. I just discovered today that I can simulate it on openrocket program and I followed some steps on the internet to build similar one.

I used a direction angle of 45 degrees and I tried to plot lateral distance vs time and I found that the rocket goes up and fall back like a stone and even drive the rocket backwards !!

I expected the wings shall provide lift support and drive the rocket forward. any explanation why I got this behaviour ?

Note: The geometry of the rocket is not preceise and based on just guesses.

Attachments

• Toma.ork
    77.3 KB · Views: 1
  • figure.png
    figure.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 0
  • top view.png
    top view.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 0
  • time.png
    time.png
    52.7 KB · Views: 0
I used a direction angle of 45 degrees
That's probably why.
Model rockets in this hobby launch vertically, coast to apogee and recover to be reused again.
Per NAR code the maximum deflection is 30 degrees.
You are pursuing a different flight profile than the hobby allows.
And hobby motors do not produce a sustained thrust like the motors of a real cruise missile.
Instead, try cloning something like this:
1699586704150.png
Out of production Quest Tomahawk cruise missile.
Vertical flight, parachute recovery.
No, it doesn't glide but it still looks cool.

Last edited:

@kuririn ,​

It is my first day to start learning about rocketery and I don't plan to build anything in the near future.
First, I need to start learning and then make mini models to get confidence.
The deflection angle was just a number since I only do simulation now. I was aiming to have a curve like figure below.

320px-Mplwp_ballistic_trajectories_velocities.svg.png

you said the rocket doesn't glide, any reason for that ? I thought the wings shall help.

@kuririn ,​

It is my first day to start learning about rocketery and I don't plan to build anything in the near future.
First, I need to start learning and then make mini models to get confidence.
The deflection angle was just a number since I only do simulation now. I was aiming to have a curve like figure below.

320px-Mplwp_ballistic_trajectories_velocities.svg.png

you said the rocket doesn't glide, any reason for that ? I thought the wings shall help.
OpenRocket does not simulate gliding.

Yes, it's not a rbg (rocket boosted glider).

I'd highly recommend reading through some of the basics threads as well as threads on rockets you think are cool to build up a foundation of knowledge.

It's fun and you'll learn a lot from others here. :)

@lakeroadster , I posted the .ork file in the first post. Please check the attachment in the first post.

regarding your simulation results, can you please share the lateral distance vs. time ?

@lakeroadster , I posted the .ork file in the first post. Please check the attachment in the first post.

regarding your simulation results, can you please share the lateral distance vs. time ?

Hmm? Cardboard fins and a pvc body, with 3/4" th. centering rings and (6) cardboard fins.​
TRF Tomahawk.jpg

TRF Parts Detail .jpg

Here's the plots with lateral distance

XQ-58A Launched on a G77-4 at a 0 Degree Angle.jpgXQ-58A Launched on a G77-4 at a 45 Degree Angle.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back