Tired of rusting rods!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eugenefl

Reaction score
Alright folks, where's the source for decent launch rods? You know, the type that you bow down to because they are gleaming and perfect.

Over the past 2 years I've been purchasing steel rods that one can find at Lowes/H. Depot for about $1.50. After only a few flights and a bit of exposure to humidity, they rust. If I use them regularly, they just acquire a little bit of sandable surface rust. If I don't fly for like 2-3 months, the darn things actually pit from rusting. I have a collection of rusting rods in my storage shed that are now perfect for sitting rocket parts on for painting.

So where can I buy a nice stainless rod that I can just carry around in a PVC pipe and forget about having rust problems?

I hear hair spray might help in your rusting problem. If storing for an extended time spray them with hair spray. Sounds crazy and I've never tried it but I hear it works.

You can also get copper rods, or brazing rods for the smaller sizes. Also, you mights be able to find tin or zinc plated steal rods someplace. Starting at 1/4" or larger, I use railbuttons and a launch rail. I have not lost a single rocket due to rail whip since I started using a rail.

What I do is get a 38" length of 1" PVC and cap one end. On the other end I put a threaded fitting and get a threaded cap.

After a launch, I wipe down all the rods, put them in the PVC tube and give it a squirt of WD-40 (Hair Spray also works, but better than that is PAM), then cap it up.

No rust and smooth slick finish at every launch, and I still get to use the cheap rods.

jim

Keep Brillo pads handy at a launch to scrub down the rods peridically and at the end of the day in addition to the other suggestions presented here.

Eugene - if you check around, some hardware stores handle stainless rods, particularly in the 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4" by 36" sizes. Some may even carry 48" length, which I like better in the 3/16" and 1/4" sizes. Welding supply places might have them too, but I have found they tend to be more expensive there.

Like jflis said, a little bit of post-launch maintenance will make all the difference in the world. Another thing I have found that I like is 3M scouring and sanding pads. These are not sandpaper, they are made out of some artificial fiber-like material - don't remember what exactly. You can get these in various abrasiveness ratings at automotive stores in the paint section. I like the 3M pads for cleaning rods much better than sandpaper. They leave the rod much slicker and smoother.

One thing that PAM has over WD-40 is that the propellent in WD-40, when it evaporates, takes much of the lubricant *with* it. PAM, on the other hand, has no such propellant problem.

This is a trick I learned from my brother in law, a commercial fisherman who uses PAM on everything now instead of WD-40 for that very reason :)

IMHO: Stainless its the way to go 304 alloy, 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4" can be bought through McMaster-Carr in 6 and 8 foot lengths. 3/8", 1/2, and up are also available...but kind of price.
another option: as least for your 1/8" rods.. totally tubular is now carring a 1/8" carbon fibre rod 36" long.. Makes a great launch rod.. NO rust no hasstle.
clear your stainless rods with fantastic than wipe down with a little WD-40 never mess with a drity rusty rod again...

The WD-40 reminds me of something Mary reminded me of a few days ago.
She and her two sisters were discussing all my tools and junk in the basement... Mary's youngest sister Lynda said the only two tools in the world she needs are.... WD-40 and 2" silver Duct Tape.
She went on: If it's supposed to move and it doesn't...WD-40 it.
If it's not supposed to move and Does...Duct tape it.
That's my sister-in-Law...LOL

I stopped buying metal rods. I buy all carbon rods now. Sure it is a bit more expensive but I don't have to worry about rusting or bending. You still need to wipe them down, but they work great.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I think I will go with the cheap route and the post-flight maintenance route. I had been using a PVC container for a while, but they would still rust in there. PAM is now my friend.

Some Hobby Shops that stock parts for radio controlled airplanes have carbon fiber rods. HOWEVER.... be prepared.... they are somewhat pricey, particularly when compared to regular steel rods.

I use Tri-flow to lubricate and protect my launch rods. Like WD-40 but has teflon in it.

I originally used tri-flow on my bicycles (mountain and road). Seemed like it would work for launch roads. Just wipe a thin layer on the rod. Seems to protect the rod pretty well and makes it slicker than greased snot!

It all boils down to maintenance and care, Folks.
Stainless steel and Graphite Composite's can still get funky-gummy if you don't wipe them down after use.

Originally posted by eugenefl
Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I think I will go with the cheap route and the post-flight maintenance route. I had been using a PVC container for a while, but they would still rust in there. PAM is now my friend.

Ok, It's been several months since this post... Time to follow-up.

How has PAM held up in the Florida weather? Any problems with roaches? :)

Is this solution still working for you- or have you switched to WD-40 / stainless?

This is timely for me as I picked up (impulse buy) some generic 1/8" & 3/16 rods at
Home Depot this past weekend...

Greetings Brian. I am happy to report that the rods have actually gone much-much longer without signs of rusting. I went about 2 months without reapplying the PAM before rust started appearing again. That was out of laziness I suppose. I was quite amazed at how clean the rods stayed. It only took about 2 club launches or two months and no reapplication before the rust started appearing again. I imagine the flame from the composites was burning away the PAM. Realistically, there will be maintenance involved as with any other of your ground support. The absolute *nicest* thing about the PAM solution is that you won't have to sand the rods between monthly launches. After a usage, wipe clean then reapply the PAM and they'll be good to go for the next month. Ignore them and you might get 2 months of no rust. That's about the best I can explain it.

BTW, no roaches. I can't imagine PAM being the cause of roaches though.

So yes, definitely coat the rods in PAM. ;)

I have a 3/16" steel rod which rusts after every launch, too.

I've given some thought to applying gun bluing to it, to see if that helps any.

Anyone ever tried this?

If your stainless is rusting, is it also magnetic? Ya may have gotten a very low Chromium/nickel version.. type 301,302 or 305 from the 18-8 group... these sometimes will show some rust when exposed to combustion by-products. but it should clean up with fantastic and/or WD-40. I recommend 316 alloy for launch rods which will eliminate any rust potential. Same clean up a little fantastic and a spary of WD-40 is all thats required.

You've been given lots of good suggestions. I do what Jim does. I made a storage pipe, 5ft long, that holds all of my rods. After each launch, I sand them with 220 grit, wipe them down good, the apply a good coat of 3 in 1 oil.

Back