Time is the Most Precious Commodity

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockrwood

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_9034.jpeg

I have not had any time to play with the Elecrtonics Fun Kit.

But all English as a second language kidding asde, I seem to not have any time to devote to my hobby life in recent months.

I know. Whine, moan, complain.

But seriously. If we are not going to have fun in the time on Earth allotted to us, what’s the point of time being allotted to us?

“…From cradle to grave it isn’t that long a stay…”

I resolve, here and now, to have fun every day. Period.

Dunno how relevant this is but it's one of my favorite quotes of all time. As I age I so greatly agree with the red text. Your time...is yours, not others' (Robert Heinlein, a horse's @$$ in many ways but this one hits home. The protagonist had 2000+ years, I have 80. Or 70. Or whatever.). Anyway...enjoy YOUR time and ignore the leeches. And if ya ain't having fun, ya ain't doing it right!

“Do not confuse "duty" with what other people expect of you; they are utterly different. Duty is a debt you owe to yourself to fulfill obligations you have assumed voluntarily. Paying that debt can entail anything from years of patient work to instant willingness to die. Difficult it may be, but the reward is self-respect.

But there is no reward at all for doing what other people expect of you, and to do so is not merely difficult, but impossible. It is easier to deal with a footpad than it is with the leech who wants "just a few minutes of your time, please—this won't take long." Time is your total capital, and the minutes of your life are painfully few. If you allow yourself to fall into the vice of agreeing to such requests, they quickly snowball to the point where these parasites will use up 100 percent of your time—and squawk for more!

So learn to say No—and to be rude about it when necessary.

Otherwise you will not have time to carry out your duty, or to do your own work, and certainly no time for love and happiness. The termites will nibble away your life and leave none of it for you.
(This rule does not mean that you must not do a favor for a friend, or even a stranger. But let the choice be yours. Don't do it because it is "expected" of you.)”

Dunno how relevant this is but it's one of my favorite quotes of all time. As I age I so greatly agree with the red text. Your time...is yours, not others
I've spent all my life working to make other people successful with not much to show for it. I still work, part time, and I take little breaks during the day to work on rocket builds. I was thinking yesterday that I go out in the garage to fit some fins, add glue fillets, whatever, and lose an hour of paid work. So one step in building a $10 rocket costs me several times that. Well after all it IS my time and much more enjoyable to spread glue than strain my brain figuring out what is wrong with someone else's drawing of steel connections.

Dunno how relevant this is but it's one of my favorite quotes of all time. As I age I so greatly agree with the red text. Your time...is yours, not others' (Robert Heinlein, a horse's @$$ in many ways but this one hits home. The protagonist had 2000+ years, I have 80. Or 70. Or whatever.). Anyway...enjoy YOUR time and ignore the leeches. And if ya ain't having fun, ya ain't doing it right!

“Do not confuse "duty" with what other people expect of you; they are utterly different. Duty is a debt you owe to yourself to fulfill obligations you have assumed voluntarily. Paying that debt can entail anything from years of patient work to instant willingness to die. Difficult it may be, but the reward is self-respect.

But there is no reward at all for doing what other people expect of you, and to do so is not merely difficult, but impossible. It is easier to deal with a footpad than it is with the leech who wants "just a few minutes of your time, please—this won't take long." Time is your total capital, and the minutes of your life are painfully few. If you allow yourself to fall into the vice of agreeing to such requests, they quickly snowball to the point where these parasites will use up 100 percent of your time—and squawk for more!

So learn to say No—and to be rude about it when necessary.

Otherwise you will not have time to carry out your duty, or to do your own work, and certainly no time for love and happiness. The termites will nibble away your life and leave none of it for you.

(This rule does not mean that you must not do a favor for a friend, or even a stranger. But let the choice be yours. Don't do it because it is "expected" of you.)”

Is that Heinlein’s alter ego, Lazarus Long, speaking?

Like Bob Hoskins as Khrushchev in Enemy At The Gates, "Vodka is a luxury we have. Caviar is a luxury we have. Time is a luxury we don't have."

The lull in wind the is short. The launch window will not last, we must light this candel now! No long winded introductions or humorous speeches from the LCO. Push the button!

Dancing with the 'you owe people time' vs. the 'I only have X time' myself. In general, I agree that you have to passionately pursue what you want, but sometimes time you spend pursuing another's goal can be a force multiplier. That is what is sold by corporate entities.

Rich people who have navigated the force multiplier and lived a handful of years on top may win. I'm fine with living as a non-winner but at peace along the way, I think. Not what I've done so far, but it seems to have value.

My current goal is to wake up agitated with what I want to do today and go to bed knowing I could do more, but if I get a good night's sleep, I can be agitated the next morning with what I want to do.

Success. . . no, closer than before, yes. Tomorrow's agitation needs to be to improve the ratio.

I often think of this as "Don't burn my firewood."

It's my firewood. I bought it, chopped it, stacked it, inherited it, whatever. Just because someone else wants and/or needs firewood doesn't mean they can come get my firewood and use it. If I want it to grow ivy, it will. I may choose to give some firewood, because I see that someone is cold. But it's my firewood.

"No amount of money ever bought a minute of time." -- Howard Stark
Well yes and no. If you didn't worry about money there are some things you do every day that you wouldn't have to do. I spend a lot of time trying to find the lowest prices for my purchases, I DIY house repairs so I don't have to pay more to have them done, I work more than I should which keeps me from spending more time on rockets, things like that. But I realize if I won the lottery I would probably spend more time dealing with that.

Back