Think my paint skills are improving

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Off Grid Gecko

Reaction score
Still trying to figure out some geometries that are simple to mask but look really cool. In the meantime, here's my MiniMeanie 24mm. I tried to improvise some lettering from the kit decals, but there was an issue, so I stripped them back off before they could become a disaster.
MM03.JPG
MM02.JPG
She wasn't meant to be a show rocket, thus the orange-peel (or at least part of the reason for it. The base layer was applied directly over primer and no sanding afterward)
I'm really liking this Rustoleum gloss protective enamel. It goes on with good coverage and dries up really nice. The cans seem to last longer because there is less spraying to finish a coat. In real life, the red could have done with another thin layer as some parts are not as shiny as the black, but overall not a bad looking MPR from my standpoint.
I also kinda eye-balled the midpoints for the half-black upper section and nose cone, so they don't really line up perfectly, but at least I got the lines straight this time. There are a couple of barely noticeable spirals but I should have that under control by the time the next rocket is ready for paint. I didn't fill them before the build started on this one.
For the mask, I used Scotch Magic Tape (i.e. regular Scotch Tape) for the edges and regular masking tape behind it. There were no large areas to protect. All of the lines (that I've been able to see) came out clean and crisp. I'm very pleased. I didn't go over the mask with clear this time because I've had paint issues doing that and I didn't want to leave her masked for another week before applying topcoat.
She'll be ready to maiden this weekend if I can get a motor by then, and hopefully the event doesn't get rained out again. Hoping to launch my L1 there as well.

Just when you think you have it down, they will go and,
A) Change the paint formula
B) Discontinue the brand
C) "Improve" the spray nozzle
or
D) The store you go to will switch to a less desirable brand.

Painting is one of those things that as soon as I think I have it down pat, something happens to remind me that I don't.

Just when you think you have it down, they will go and,
A) Change the paint formula
B) Discontinue the brand
C) "Improve" the spray nozzle
or
D) The store you go to will switch to a less desirable brand.

Painting is one of those things that as soon as I think I have it down pat, something happens to remind me that I don't.
I can relate to "B" and "D"

Lol, yeah. I'm lucky in that regard. I do love this paint that I started using, but right now the biggest killer of paint jobs for me is taking the time to ensure less problems. I get a strong itch to go put on another layer while there is still a trace smell coming from the rocket, and that has spoiled more paint jobs with me than anything else.
I'm going to try REALLY hard to resist that when I build my L2. Especially with the clearcoat.

Wow! Looks great. You talked about masking. Have you ever tried frisket paper for masking? It is like a big sheet of tape. Low tack adhesive. You can use a swivel exacto and cut some nice patterns.

Attachments

• flames 001.JPG
    flames 001.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 22
Wow! Looks great. You talked about masking. Have you ever tried frisket paper for masking? It is like a big sheet of tape. Low tack adhesive. You can use a swivel exacto and cut some nice patterns.
Have not heard of it. When I was younger I liked using pinstripe for making decent curves, but probably not flexible enough for a small rocket. I'll have to look up this swivel exacto knife and see what that's about. I worry about cutting into the applied tape and pushing right through the cardboard, so after the fin slots are cut, no knives on the surface, lol.

the frisket has a backing sheet, cut it when off the rocket to the design that you want. Then peel the backing off and apply like tape. Since it is clear, well almost, I have a light table that I made, a sheet of glass on top, tape your design to the glass, then tape frisket over that and turn on the light underneath. Easy way to copy a design onto frisket.

Back