Thin-walled 2.6" Paper Tubing?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Binder Design sells 2.6" thin wall and also carries the long AT cone. All of our 2.6" kits use them.

That's why we discontinued the Jaguar. The tubing was to thin to take the stress of bigger 38mm motors without glassing due to the Jaguar's length.

Mike Fisher
Binder Design
https://binderdesign.com

The Aerotech cone seems like it is the longest, and it looks the best on my Rocksim file. The balsa cones from Semrock look good too, but I need a hollow cone because I'm putting a tailcone on it too.

It seems like I have plenty of sources for the thin-wall tubing if I do that.

Sound of Madness.jpg

Really?

I've always thought BT-80 was 3" (isn't the Big Daddy made of BT-80, or is that BT-100).

Also, to avoid making another thread, are there any places that make a high length:width ogive nose cone? All of the 2.6" cones I can find seem kind of short.

BT-80 was created for the SIV-B stage of the Saturn V kit. (SIV-B is 260" diameter, therefore 1/100 scale is 2.6"). When high power started in the early 80's, the only two tubes widely available were the Estes BT101 (3.9") and BT-80.

Other vendors eventually produced thicker-walled tubes for high power derived from both diameters.

The Big Daddy was designed by, IIRC, Matt Steele, using parts that were originally created for the Estes Pro-Series Patriot, and were appropriated for some of the rockets in the North Coast Rocketry By Estes line. Those parts were designated by their rough outside diameter. I.e. BT-3.00, BT-2.50, etc.

Estes only produced two nose cones for the BT-80 (if you don't count the Maxi-Brute Honest John, or the Rock-it): the short one shaped like the PNC-60L for the Super Big Bertha/Broadsword (and later for the Fat Boy), and the longer one produced for the Phoenix, Optima/Goliath, and MaxiAlpha. The longer one hasn't been made for a few years, but Estes has recently announced that they will bring back the Phoenix, so those noses should be available as parts from Estes soon. You can get balsa noses for it from Semroc.

If you really want to clone a Big Daddy, get your parts from LOC/Precision, as they have parts based on a 3" tube.

If you really want to clone a Big Daddy, get your parts from LOC/Precision, as they have parts based on a 3" tube.

I didn't mention the Big Daddy because I wanted to clone one, but because I have one and I know the tubes for it are 3", I always thought the tubes for it were BT-80, hence my belief that BT-80 tubes are 3".

BsSmith, that design is awesome -- reminds me of a smaller, pointier Velociraptor. With a layer of carbon on your vehicle and a 38mm mount, it oughta scream. (Some layer of reinforcement is probably a good idea; I glassed my Binder Jaguar with the thin wall tubing and it's done up to and including the Kosdon 38/640 case, but I've seen 'em fold up on I284s otherwise...)

BT-80 was created for the SIV-B stage of the Saturn V kit. (SIV-B is 260" diameter, therefore 1/100 scale is 2.6"). When high power started in the early 80's, the only two tubes widely available were the Estes BT101 (3.9") and BT-80.

Other vendors eventually produced thicker-walled tubes for high power derived from both diameters.

...thus causing motor casing machinists thousands of lost hours turning down 4" OD tubing to fit 98mm motor mount tubes :bangpan: Glad I at least know why now!

BsSmith, that design is awesome -- reminds me of a smaller, pointier Velociraptor. With a layer of carbon on your vehicle and a 38mm mount, it oughta scream. (Some layer of reinforcement is probably a good idea; I glassed my Binder Jaguar with the thin wall tubing and it's done up to and including the Kosdon 38/640 case, but I've seen 'em fold up on I284s otherwise...)

It is a smaller, pointier Velociraptor. I like the design of the original Velociraptor, but the rocket is too large for me to fly on an H or I motor (comfortably), so I designed this around it. It will scream on an I or J motor, it'll go 3600' on an I211 and 7500' on a J570.

It is a smaller, pointier Velociraptor. I like the design of the original Velociraptor, but the rocket is too large for me to fly on an H or I motor (comfortably), so I designed this around it. It will scream on an I or J motor, it'll go 3600' on an I211 and 7500' on a J570.

We've considered making the Velociraptor kit in 2.6" with a 38mm mount. Not sure if there is a market for it, and it would need glassing to fly on J's.:confused2:

Mike Fisher

Binder's 2.6" dia tubing makes a good carbon fiber or glass laminate foundation.

The pictured rocket, a modified Binder Jaguar 2.6 dia" kit, will be flying K's and L's at Higgs Farm this winter. It's done well on all the J's so far

For Red Glare 7 this weeknd it's already got a nice CTI J520 Skid loaded it it

Dopey polack with a nice rocket1.jpg

First overcoat.jpg

Jaguar completed.jpg

Last edited:
Back