The Launch Pad Kit tailcones

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dominion

Reaction score
Has anybody used anything else instead of the paper tailcones they come with in the kits? I had a Hawk I just built but tripped over a cat while carrying it and smacked it up against a door jam and put a kink right in the middle of it. Thinking of using a BT-70 to BT-80 balsa transition for the task, wanting your opinions.

Link to what Im planning to use.
https://www.semroc.com/Store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=915

Overkill. And starts you down the road of too much weight in the tail, add more nose weight, need a bigger motor, too much weight in the tail...

Did you strengthen the paper transition with CyA yet when the damage happened?

Alternatively, you could get rid of the cat.

kj

Yes I did stregthen the paper it just happen to be the perfect corner shot, my luck lol. Cant kill the cat it just happens to be mine but did get a good kickin j/k. I think this one just had a lot of bad luck because during the recovery phase the nose got stuck and bacame a lawn dart, good flight though. I like the design/shape but making this one a lil different. Adding 4" to the body with dual 24mm mounts.

What I do with most of my TLP kits, is first substitute the stock cardstock for a heavier weight (thicker) ,this is most often done for tail cones.I will soak the thing with plenty of super thin CA, then give it a couple coats of finishing epoxy on the inside.This makes it very strong and rigid and less apt to get dented or dinged.I do the same for nosecone extensions ,but using a heavier weight cardstock is not alway possible ,depends on the amount of angle of the apex of the cone ,can be a bugger to roll.

Paul

Back