The Flying Picnic Table of Doom

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ta for posting the link to the vid, Damian. Whoever did the editing did a great job! :D

Hmm.. I think someone should have done a swing test on the rocket...err...table...err...whatever. :D

that wasn't (s)table...funny as all getout, but not (s)table...

if you watch the video, you cqan clearly see that the table hasn't enough velocity to really tell, but it definitely starts tipping over under full power.

i think four 6x6" pieces of plywood adhered to the ends of the table legs at a 45* angle to add some restorative force to the equation to counter the flat nose's contribution.

i saved the video locally to show all (well, the ones that can be forced, anyway) my friends and family

Originally posted by powderburner
I'm glad there is an ocean in between me and them.

I can't figure how this is cool, but a thread about using grass for wadding is half warnings and admonishments.

I don't care how experienced they were or what safety precautions were taken, or even how funny the result is, they deserve some clinical phrenology with a clue by four. Talk about "setting an example".....

Next up:

My 10 year old wooden picnic table on an O5100 and 5 N2000 airstarts!!! :D :D ;) ;)

I wish my computer could handle such a big video... BUt it cant. Ill have to take your work for it. :( Great pics, though!!! :D :D :D :D

Dyna, I have to disagree. This is just like an upscaled Odd-Roc. It was simmed and reinforced and tested and checked thoroughly. Just because it didnt go right and its made out of a broken picnic table doesnt mean this is really any different to a lawndart from a normal high power rocket.

And Neil, all I have to say is this: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I'm glad theres an ocean between you and me! :p Joking... ;)

Originally posted by WiK
Dyna, I have to disagree. This is just like an upscaled Odd-Roc. It was simmed and reinforced and tested and checked thoroughly. Just because it didnt go right and its made out of a broken picnic table doesnt mean this is really any different to a lawndart from a normal high power rocket.

And Neil, all I have to say is this: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I'm glad theres an ocean between you and me! :p Joking... ;)

I wasn't commenting on its failure; that's irrelevant. I was commenting on its conception, execution and especially publicizing. Success or not, the acceptance of such an activity validates it in the minds of others who shouldn't even think such things, but now have evidence that it's allowable.

More so, I was commenting on the fact that this was found far more acceptable than talking about using grass as wadding. I am both intrigued and annoyed over such contradictions. I don't particularly care to start a discussion as to the why's and wherefore's of such contradicitons, but I certainly do think they're important, and so bring them up.

Originally posted by Neil
Great pics, though!!! :D :D :D :D
Funnily enough, your name was mentioned by a few TRFers at IRW just after the FPTOD was born, Neil. We thought you'd like it! :D ;) :D

IIRC, you mentioned, in the chat room, that you'd been in Scotland a few weeks ago - its a pity your hols didn't coincide with IRW.

Do try and find a comp up to playing the vid - it is well worth it!

Naw, that was my big sis' in Scotland. Im sure she wouldent complain about going back if they ever rebuild that sucker, though! :D

Yea, you guys were right in thinking that i would like this project... Mind you, I feel safer seing the pictures, not being the one TAKING the pictures... :D ;)

BTW, itd take more than an O5100 and several N2000s to lift this old picnic table... ;) Maybe a 10 motor cluster of those P motors from the BLack Brandt project :D

Back