That 2020 DUNE film

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... a canted, tractor motored Shai Hulud!
I love dioramas! But I doubt the tiny Dune collection will inspire anyone to go that far.

The film premiers this Friday in Venice and next week in Toronto. Looking forward to what the critcs will complain about. Release is Oct 22 in theaters and HBO max.

I haven't watched a Sci-Fi movie in a long time, but I'm looking forward to this one, because I can't read the book (I read techy stuff almost full time for a living so no leisure booky wooks for me), I know they're good, and I want to forget that 1984 version.

I love dioramas! But I doubt the tiny Dune collection will inspire anyone to go that far.

The film premiers this Friday in Venice and next week in Toronto. Looking forward to what the critcs will complain about. Release is Oct 22 in theaters and HBO max.

I haven't watched a Sci-Fi movie in a long time, but I'm looking forward to this one, because I can't read the book (I read techy stuff almost full time for a living so no leisure booky wooks for me), I know they're good, and I want to forget that 1984 version.
I did a Shai Hulud, it is here on the forum. Upscale for army man size figures!

AhA! It all happened in May 2018! Just before I landed here!
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/shia-hulud-dune-sandworm-flying-model-rocket.145957/page-2
But I did come a across your skull & spine, and that train rocket!
I still haven't even done a canted cluster in kit form let alone custom worms!

But I see the interest. That basic segmented tractor structure could also allow things like a moray eel:
Snowflaker-Moray-Eel.jpg
a couatl (an AD&D monter):

d2cn70g-cc803942-72a2-48aa-a661-3d68066d0aea.jpg
the original krayt dragon:
Krayt_Dragon_skeleton.jpg
maybe Falkor:
neverending-story-falkor.jpg
maybe a Chinese dragon:

Chinese-Dragon-3.jpg
the Beetlejuice sandworm and snake:
e4f462502fa896eed8d92b23b7ad895c.jpg
and a jacked up kite:
prism-kites-accessory-tube-tail-75-2.jpg
Not sure the scale is set for the shai hulud. The 1980s consumer version was probably way off in every way:
7c6b49e2ce12dec0375660fc08cceadb.jpg7790289482_0df1a86e72_z.jpg
But yeah, I think there's potential. A next iteration could have more segments. Setting records for the number of segments would be an interesting challenge.

I just rewatched the 1984 movie. Not as bad as I remember, but not good either.

Too flat, No character development, poor writing, poor music.

But mostly, and not surprising, WAY to compacted, with not well developed new plot devices.

Visually it's interesting, but it's not DUNE.

I've probably watched the original movie 3 times. And each time I say to myself "Maybe I will understand it this time...." Nope, still hasn't happened.

I watched the movie 5 or 6 times before I read the books and then watched 3 or 4 times after. It could be better but I've watched much worse

I wonder how long it will be before I can purchase a copy on DVD, preferably a used copy off of e-bay for $5.

It'll be on HBO at the same time as theaters, so that is an option. After that, it'll hit places like RedBox before Christmas so that'll be an option. After that, used copies on the various markets will show up very soon. I get HBOMax as part of my AT&T cell phone plan so I plan on watching it on my 65" 4K TV at home. :)

I'll be watching it on HBO Max, but it'll have to wait a couple weeks. I've got another actuarial exam in less than two weeks (they never end :rolleyes:). Don't tell me what happens!

I just rewatched the 1984 movie. Not as bad as I remember, but not good either.

Too flat, No character development, poor writing, poor music.

But mostly, and not surprising, WAY to compacted, with not well developed new plot devices.

Visually it's interesting, but it's not DUNE.
The 2000 TV miniseries was a lot better than the 1984 movie IMHO. Any movie/TV show will depart from the book; it's rarely if ever possible to include in a movie the mountain of detail that's in a book. But the 84 movie departed a lot more than I was comfortable with.

Super looking forward to it.

Trying not to be too optimistic either.

Never saw the 80s one, heard i should not bother, maybe should watch regardless.

Plopped down for the mini "imax" screen in town as the nearest proper IMAX would be about a 4h drive.

May not be worth it in the end, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

AhA! It all happened in May 2018! Just before I landed here!
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/shia-hulud-dune-sandworm-flying-model-rocket.145957/page-2
But I did come a across your skull & spine, and that train rocket!
I still haven't even done a canted cluster in kit form let alone custom worms!

But I see the interest. That basic segmented tractor structure could also allow things like a moray eel:
View attachment 480322
a couatl (an AD&D monter):

View attachment 480324
the original krayt dragon:
View attachment 480325
maybe Falkor:
View attachment 480326
maybe a Chinese dragon:

View attachment 480327
the Beetlejuice sandworm and snake:
View attachment 480328
and a jacked up kite:
View attachment 480329
Not sure the scale is set for the shai hulud. The 1980s consumer version was probably way off in every way:
View attachment 480330View attachment 480331
But yeah, I think there's potential. A next iteration could have more segments. Setting records for the number of segments would be an interesting challenge.
My pyro buddy wants to do a Chinese Dragon with daytime pyrotechnics, not something you would see at a club launch!

Super looking forward to it.

Trying not to be too optimistic either.

Never saw the 80s one, heard i should not bother, maybe should watch regardless.
The David Lynch movie has some good points along with the bad. Some good acting, some not soo good, some good set design , some not so good, dated special effects, lots of whisper-think exposition. Has become a cult classic. Suffered from producer interference, budget problems and editing for rating. Awesome soundtrack. Get the directors cut and see "put the pick in there Pete and turn it round, real neat." See Patrick Stewart spit!

I haven't been much into movies lately, but I might lift a finger for this one because it's apparently an important sci-fi book, and the 1984 film was down right awful as I remember it. I'm willing to give Dune another chance for the sake of satisfying the sci-fi fan I was in the 80's. I hope this one works out.

"Awful" cannot not encompass the sheer magnitude of suckatude of the Lynch film.
Not saying I won't see it, but it is on my list, immediately below "prostate exam".

"Awful" cannot not encompass the sheer magnitude of suckatude of the Lynch film.
Not saying I won't see it, but it is on my list, immediately below "prostate exam".

I'd say it's ok to avoid it altogether.

Last edited:
The most consistent complaint I hear about the new movie is simply that it's a "part 1" in the truest sense, without any real ending of it's own. So don't go in expecting it to really "conclude". The good news is that part 2 has been greenlit, so we should get it in a few years.

The movie itself sounds like it is as far away from the 1984 film as possible. I'm going to have to figure out an opportunity to go see it in IMAX.

From what I've read Villeneuve is a true fan. He would know that the story started life as a serial in Analog Magazine and the first novel was organized as Book 1, Book 2, Book 3 and appendices. So he had that structure already laid out. I'm interested to see how he may have used it in the first film.

That is nuanced. Can you explain briefly?
According to Gowachin law, bias means "I will rule in a particular way, if I can." Prejudice means "I will rule in a particular way, no matter what."

Read Whipping Star and The Dosadi Experiment for more Frank Herbert and the Gowachin.

Back