Tech Tools (TT) Cutting Mat versus Cheaper Cutting Mats

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockrwood

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have purchased several cutting mats of various sizes over the years. I own “Fiskars”, Westcott”, and “TT” (TechTools) brand mats.

What I have found is that the TT mats are demonstratively superior to other brands. They are thicker snd they self-heal quite well.

But they are more expensive. About twice as expensive as a cheap cutting mat from the Walmart sewing and crafts aisle.

So I use a smaller (and less expensive) TT mat when I need its desirable qualities and the el cheapo mats when I just need a bigger cutting area.

Just a tip to make model rocket building a bit easier.

IMG_7558.jpeg

I use a $1 piece of poster board from Dollar General, flip it over at some point, and then toss it.

View attachment 599200

Nice tube fin rocket!

Also, that is an impressive collection of what appears to be CA glue. You always have the right viscosity handy!

When not building rockets I am guessing you play some electric guitar. :)

And a nice Hakko soldering iron. I have workbench envy!

Last edited:
I can confirm that Titebond Q&T appears to have had a nozzle update, as the most recent bottle I purchased has the new, conical tip, which I do prefer compared to the older "linear" wedge one.
To stay on topic, I tend to prefer a main 18" x 24" cutting mat, and I've grown to like/appreciate having a secondary, small one that I can move around easily. It's handy if I need to work on something small without interrupting something on the main work area. Brands don't seem to matter to me, I've used Fiskars and Excel and they both work just fine for me.

20200407_083254.jpg20210408_201243.jpg

Last edited:
We do a fair number of 11x17 prints at work. Lots of them are drafts or get reprinted for one reason or another. I make a habit of keeping prints that don't have sensitive info on them out of the recycle bin and use them as work bench protectors. Not for cutting, but they are great for gluing/painting/marking/cleaning/lubing all sorts of items. Use them once and drop them in the trash. No need to clean anything. Can even mix epoxy right on them.

US Art Supply off Amazon. $40 lasts me about 3 yrs. before need to turn it over and use the other side. I've only replaced mine once since returning to the hobby 6/ 7 yrs ago.

Last edited:
US Art Supply off Amazon. $40 lasts me about 3 yrs. before need to turn it over and use the other side. I've only replaced mine once since returning to the hobby 6/ 7 yrs ago.
+1 on US Art Supply mat.
I've been using a 24"x36" version for both hobby cutting, and as a table-top in front of my personal computer, since 2017.

Paid $30 for it in 2017, now a 5-ply, double sided (green, black) is $42 from Amazon

If I really need to go Eddie Kruger, I overlay an 8x12" TT matt on top. No idea where I got it, or how much I paid for the TT mat. Whatever it was, it's more expansive now.

Last edited:
This is slightly off topic maybe but a good, comfortable and controllable hobby knife is very important too. I have two classic Exacto knives with the round knurled aluminum handle. I wanted a more comfortable & controllable hobby knife and did some searching. Fiskars makes a SoftGrip knife with a triangular shaped handle with a detent on the top for my index finger. It is the best knife I have found so far. And it won't roll off the table like the round ones do.

https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Soft...locphy=9019407&hvtargid=pla-350241882443&th=1

I put heat shrink tubing on my X-Acto knife, plus I make a small bend in the end of the handle so it doesn't roll too far.

Latest posts

Back