Switchblade update

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to see an ALL composite version made with Carbon and Kevlar, Just Kidding! Looks great. Cant wait to hear how it flies.

John Boren

It is not hard to build (if you can build a skill level 4 model (old Estes scale), you can build this), but does take some time, much as the Gamma Star / Delta Star.
Now that I'm in the home stretch building my Gamma Star, I feel like I have a basis to comment. The Gamma Star kit is excellent and not too hard to assemble, though it's a very different experience from building a conventional rocket. But covering it with Monokote requires a completely new skill set which I'm not enjoying at all and suspect I am never going to be any good at. Is the Switchblade going to be covered or do you recommend flying it bare? (Note that I'm not blaming R&R for anything here.)

Now that I'm in the home stretch building my Gamma Star, I feel like I have a basis to comment. The Gamma Star kit is excellent and not too hard to assemble, though it's a very different experience from building a conventional rocket. But covering it with Monokote requires a completely new skill set which I'm not enjoying at all and suspect I am never going to be any good at. Is the Switchblade going to be covered or do you recommend flying it bare? (Note that I'm not blaming R&R for anything here.)

Sorry about the Monokote, but it really isn't that bad, just takes practice. The other option of course is to find a radio control club nearby. Those guys should be able to cover a Delta / Gamma Star in 2-3 hrs. There are plenty of videos on youtube, as well as books available to learn the skill.

The Switchblade does not require covering, but a much lighter version in the future (very much a maybe) could. I didn't want monokoting to be a part of the kit as it really is meant for a beginner in R/C (the Switchblade). I guess I made the assumption that if you could fly a Gamma Star, you had built / flown a few models, but perhaps I neglected the modern day ARFs that require no building skills - My bad. In my era, you had to build if you wanted to fly!

On that note, I flew the Switchblade a few weeks ago and was very pleased on the flight. It went up to about 400'-500' and should be capable of thermalling. I am presently writing the instructions and also testing a different airfoil with a larger speed envelope to cut down on porpoising at higher speeds (think hard -thrown chuck glider :eek: ). It now has an aquila airfoil which is very easy to build on the board, but an E205 would be better if I can still make it easy to build. The boost was dead straight and the new release mechanism worked perfectly. I used an F24, but also want to try a Cesaroni F30 (it will require a bit more nose weight, but should get significantly higher).

That is all for now!

David

Sorry about the Monokote, but it really isn't that bad, just takes practice. The other option of course is to find a radio control club nearby. Those guys should be able to cover a Delta / Gamma Star in 2-3 hrs. There are plenty of videos on youtube, as well as books available to learn the skill.

That is all for now!

David

Do you recommend Monokote exclusively? I've covered aircraft with Monokote, Econocote, and Solite/Aerolite covering. Of these three Solite is by far the easiest to use. I've also read that Parklite (lightweight Ultracote brand) is easier to use than Monokote. Since these models don't require fuel-proofing, would you recommend the lighter weight coverings?

That being said, there is a learning curve, but after covering two aircraft, I got good enough to be pleased with the results.

Do you recommend Monokote exclusively? I've covered aircraft with Monokote, Econocote, and Solite/Aerolite covering. Of these three Solite is by far the easiest to use. I've also read that Parklite (lightweight Ultracote brand) is easier to use than Monokote. Since these models don't require fuel-proofing, would you recommend the lighter weight coverings?

That being said, there is a learning curve, but after covering two aircraft, I got good enough to be pleased with the results.

I've covered a few planes myself and have used both Monokote and the Ultracote Parklite.

I totally agree. Monokote is probably the hardest to cover with and look nice. It's also heavy and shrinks a lot which can warp some lighter structures. Monokote is mainly used for bigger airframes. The Parklite was much easier to work with to come out with a decent finish. Only problem with the Parklite types is they tend to be semi translucent. You can get the full translucent colors also which is nice on the ground (if you did a decent build) but they can be difficult to tell orientation especially if you use translucnt colors on both the top and bottom of the wing.

I have a Gamma Star in the box waiting to be built. I will use either regular Ultrcote or the Parklite. Go to RCUniverse or RCGroups there are plenty of threads that show you how to do a decent covering job.

I have used Econocote on the Gammas and Deltas, but have used the others with success. I wouldn't go too light (covering wise) as I fly out of a field with cut silage (think cow field) and the weight savings over the model would be negligible versus having a wing punctured on landing. :)

David

I've also read that Parklite (lightweight Ultracote brand) is easier to use than Monokote.

FWIW I used Parklite on a couple of rocket gliders, including a Gamma star. I like it because it is very controllable, one temperature sticks it down another shrinks it. You need a good iron to use it to its full potential. I use a cheap laser thermometer to make sure I have the right temp before I touch it.

I agree with the other poster, it is not opaque, so if you marked all over your structure or used funky fillers it is going to look bad. As for strength it seemed strong enough for me.

And the weight savings is very significant for me as I have to stay under weight limits.

Finally got some light winds and the boost was dead straight with no input. With the new airfoil (hat tip to John Boren :) ), it flies beautifully (no porpoising)! I am currently working on the instruction manual. All that remains is for me to get a final prototype kit cut for the pictures and test CG range for flight. So far I have only tested it with an F24, but I want to test it with a Cesaroni F30 (May launch). Once I have the final prototype built / flown, I will post info on weight, etc. potential cost and see if there is enough interest.

David

Glad to hear it's going well. I'm looking forward to the details.

I have been thinking of trying my hand at RCRG for a while now and I really like the looks of this bird. The fact that it is an entry level glider also appeals to me. I have flown some RC planes in the past but never a RCRG. Now that I am employed again this is definately something I would be interested in. Looking forward to the final design and price structure. The construction seems fairly straight-forward to me for a glider type bird - just a little beefier to handle the acceleration. Keep us posted.

All,

Sorry about being absent so long. I have written the instructions (boy, I am going to do easier models - description wise- in the future :) ) and will be getting the final production kit for the instruction photos soon. Summer has been ridiculously busy and I have started another job, this time in real aerospace. I will be helping build commercial satellites - It means something when something you have worked on will actually be in space! :)

That said, I will have the production prototype (or as near as) at NYPOWER in a couple weeks to test out the Cesaroni F30 and see how it behaves. This should be the last test.

Thanks for all - BTW- I hope to be testing a much easier to construct very different design for the end of summer after this one is set. It is pretty cool and quite different.

David

Nice looking glider! Please let me know when you have kits ready to sell, I'd be very interested in picking one up.

-Dave

Back