Suppose ,just suppose 1/72 space shuttle

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sodmeister

Reaction score
Just suppose I had that big Revell 1/72 full stack Space Shuttle model kit.....:wink:

Could I make that fly with modifications.....IF I had that particular kit sitting in front of me ?

.....OH.....just wondering ,you know......in passing.........

Thnx

Paul T

Hi Paul,

Hypothetically speaking...IF you had that particular kit in front of you...

Forgive the cliche, but to borrow a line from Blanche Lovell in Apollo 13... If you had a model of a washing machine in front of you, you could get it to fly!

I can't wait to see this one!

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Easiest would be a big motor in the ET, with the motor a little off center. You would definitely want to rework the orbiter attachment to beef it up. More complex would be some sort of cluster with the center and srb's.
Either way its gonna be heavy.
kj

I'd consider replacing some of the larger heavier plastic parts with paper tubes or roll your own from 1/64th ply wing skins.

The orbiter may be a bit harder to replace.

I'd consider replacing some of the larger heavier plastic parts with paper tubes or roll your own from 1/64th ply wing skins.

The orbiter may be a bit harder to replace.

I`d make it for reloads in the CTI 29mm size ,maybe even 24 reload SRB clusters ,so thrust to weight ratios will not be an issue ,balance will be.

I may cut things apart and substitute cardboard BT where needed and where possible.

Also ,will use outboard Lexan fins,much like the Estes full stack shuttle.

I had the box open and the parts and detail are exquisite and very large ! I stocked up on a few jugs of Tenax7 LOL

The kit was traded for various plastic model aircraft I had laying around ,so my buddy at the hobby shop did me a trade ,as well as a bunch of Tamiya tape in 4 sizes.

I hope George Gassaway see this thread.

Paul T

Back