Sudden crash of a flock of birds

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc_G

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This is one of the freakiest videos I've ever seen.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2022/02/14/birds-fall-from-sky-mexico-orig-jc.cnn
Multiple theories... Birds encountered toxic gas, or power lines, etc.

That doesn't explain why most of them flew away immediately afterwards.

My theory is they were displaced in the backwash of a cloaked UFO.

I hope this gets picked up for an episode of Shatner's The UnXplained.

A lazy explanation could be that the group was descending and someone discharged a firearm into the group.

I would guess that it was some weather related phenomenon similar to a microburst. Most of the birds descended rapidly but flew away. The ones that died may simply have crashed hard enough to injure or kill them either in the downdraft or on impact.

Murmuration, Leader fixation, or as Peartree mentions, the murmuration encounters a sudden downdraft The lead impacted the ground, all the rest following did as well. Most flew away immediately. More flew away after recovering from the shock, a hundred or so weren't so lucky.

Can't see the sky. Maybe a downburst from an approaching storm. If it can drive an airliner into the ground, it can do that to the birds. Some were killed by the impact, others were not.

Peartree beat me to it.

So strange. That looks to me like a bunch of birds were dropped out of something, like a plane or helicopter, and it was done too low for them to spread out and fly away before smacking the ground.

The question is, dropped out of what?

Can you imagine if you were actually standing at ground zero of a bird drop like that?

In the past year, we had 2 geese hit the power lines on my block and pop some kind of circuit breaker or fuse and cut off power to the neighborhood. It sounds like a explosion when it goes, and it takes a crew a couple of hours for a crew to come out and fix it. Both times, the goose just fell to the ground dead.

Honk, honk, honk, BOOM, splat.

I didn't initially watch the video, as I assumed it would be a non-event, but curiosity got to me and I watched it. Wow. I'm guessing wind event for sure, but it was a major thing. Pretty sure if they check out some of the dead birds, as others have said above, the cause of death will be impact, not gas or electrocution. It was pretty much like there was a giant bucket of water dumped, except instead of water, it was birds that weren't flying or fluttering to the ground like leaves. Wild.

I think the cloaked alien ship is the second in the que to a microburst. . .

Sandy.

So, first of all…

https://birdsarentreal.com/
I suspect a bad batch of batteries. Maybe the factory used 9v Duracells instead of lipos? Or didn’t use crimp pins on their terminal block wiring. Inferior components due to supply chain issues? They probably packed their main chute wrong, so on the initial drop from the mothership they had a hard landing.

Can you imagine if you were actually standing at ground zero of a bird drop like that?

In the past year, we had 2 geese hit the power lines on my block and pop some kind of circuit breaker or fuse and cut off power to the neighborhood. It sounds like a explosion when it goes, and it takes a crew a couple of hours for a crew to come out and fix it. Both times, the goose just fell to the ground dead.

Honk, honk, honk, BOOM, splat.

On the bright side, when this happens, you have an easy dinner. And it is already cooked.

Many folks have suggested "follow the leader" effect online, but looking at the billowing cloud of birds that seems very uncoordinated for flight, I am personally doubting it.

I agree. And I don’t know much about how flocks of birds work, but I thought they didn’t really have a “leader”.

I agree. And I don’t know much about how flocks of birds work, but I thought they didn’t really have a “leader”.
I studied this once. Different types of birds have different algorithms. For example geese have one leader at any time when flying in V formation and they swap leaders as needed. Starlings have more of a group consensus thing going on based on collision avoidance and food gathering / predator avoidance.

I posted this because Earth's magnetic field is undergoing some serious movements and is declining in magnitude.
The Earth's magnetic field is way overdue for a reversal. Usually happens 3-4 times per million years. It hasn't happened for 740,000 hears. The decreasing magnetic field and weakening are symptoms are an indication it's happening now. Will take a few thousand years to fully reverse. No indication of extinction events.

Lots of birds use magnetic fields to navigate. The irregular fields from a reversal will screw up their navigation.

I studied this once. Different types of birds have different algorithms. For example geese have one leader at any time when flying in V formation and they swap leaders as needed. Starlings have more of a group consensus thing going on based on collision avoidance and food gathering / predator avoidance.
Predator avoidance.
Could have been a raptor(s) above and out of frame. Dead ones just ran into the ground and broke their widdle necks.

Back