Stuck friction fit motor casing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnmiller

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I launched my Madcow Trinity today, the flight was flawless! This is a clustered High Power rocket. I friction fit the motor casings as a redundancy safety measure because the motor retainer (which holds in all 4 motors) partially failed on a previous flight. So after today's flight when I removed the motors, the last one I tried to remove was STUCK bad! I have tried pulling and twisting with pliers. I have tried banging with a dowel. I have used the maximum force I feel I can exert without damaging the rocket. Any ideas? Its too big to fit in a freezer! Should I get some dry ice and touch it to the casing? Squirt some kind of solvent in from the top? Any other ideas?

20201018_222129.jpg

I launched my Madcow Trinity today, the flight was flawless! This is a clustered High Power rocket. I friction fit the motor casings as a redundancy safety measure because the motor retainer (which holds in all 4 motors) partially failed on a previous flight. So after today's flight when I removed the motors, the last one I tried to remove was STUCK bad! I have tried pulling and twisting with pliers. I have tried banging with a dowel. I have used the maximum force I feel I can exert without damaging the rocket. Any ideas? Its too big to fit in a freezer! Should I get some dry ice and touch it to the casing? Squirt some kind of solvent in from the top? Any other ideas?

View attachment 435373
What happens if you can get case very cold? Or would heat work.

Perhaps get a can of compressed air (for cleaning electronics) and spray it upside down on the casing to cool it and hopefully shrink it enough to be removed?

If you used masking tape to friction fit, you probably rolled the tape. Does the motor tube go through the centering rings so you can access the front of the motor? If so, then remove the rear closure and try shoving it forward with a dowel. It will be messy due to all the motor crud coming out during this operation.

Glad you got the casing out.

I've had the same problem on a minimum diameter 54mm rocket that flew on a very large J motor. I solved it by wrapping the bottom of the rocket in a trash bag and then putting it into a bucket filled with ice cubes. I let it sit for about an hour and then pushed the casing out without too much trouble using a large diameter wooden dowel.

when using tape to friction fit a motor I like to apply the tape at the rear most portion on the motor case. This way if it gets stuck, you do not have to far to push it out.

Back