stress

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunward

At Mad Rocket Basement
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Seems there is no stress like having a trojan program infect your computer for 3 days. Vundo or winfixer - very hard to get rid of. Adaware, AVG, and Spy-bot don't remove it. Not sure if Spy-sweeper is worth anything yet.

Mcafee antispyware is being returned Saturday (doesn't work ) and will try the Norton version after I return the Mcafee.

I did find a site that I wish I knew before:
ie-spyad which has about 5000 sites you can put in your restricted list.

As of now the screen saver is password protected ( noone did anything!) and MSN messenger is deleted.

at some point it would be better to wipe the disk and reinstall. it's time for spring cleaning anyways.

Spy Sweeper shares "Editors Choice" along with Spyware Doctor by PC Magazine, for what it's worth. McAfee, Norton, Spybot and Ad-Aware all actually rate pretty low on the list for their spyware solutions.

If you're looking for a free antivirus solution, the one that's generally rated the highest is Avira AntiVir--I used to use AVG until I read about this. When I gave it a try, it picked up 2 pieces that AVG had completely missed.

https://www.free-av.com

For a free spyware solution that's better than Spybot or Ad-Aware, check out Tenebril's SpyCatcher.

https://www.tenebril.com

has anyone tried the microsoft antispyware beta ?

I've been using it for a few months and it's doing the job well!

KermieD:
Thanks for the links. Both software found items others didn't.

Things went from bad to worse. After trying to get rid of the problem, I ended up going to safe mode and that ended up having Windows not startup.

Then I couldn't get a new hard drive to be found.

Ended up with a new machine and going to xp. Lots of files to transfer over and it will take a while.

Ended up doing spring cleaning anyway.

Disappointed with the experience.

Originally posted by stymye

I've been running it for close to year now on both my desktop and my notebook. Since I installed the software I've not had ANY spyware problems. BTW I use AVG for my anti-virus software and have not had any virus related problems either.

Originally posted by stymye

I use it on all my PC's and it runs every night, works great too. For the most part it never finds anything though becuase it doesnt ever let much in.

Almost there.

Got most of the files transferred and programs installed.

Fun part is trying to find an activiation code for an online purchase 4 years ago.

Also will need to buy another program. Seem the daily running backup (on CD-R) wasn't closed so the CD is not readable. Just so happens one file I need on the harddrive got lost and it is on the CD-R. But can't read the disk unless I get a special purchase program.

Back