Streamer Duration Competition

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberyokel

Reaction score
In the ‘Vendors’ section there is a thread about https://fliskits.com/ - they have some kits for Streamer Duration competition. What are the rules for such a competition ? Hopefully they are as simple as just specifying an engine size with everything else ‘free’ . If so perhaps I’ll have a go at one next time I’m scratch building (or maybe if fliskits are available in the UK I’ll make one of those !).

Has anyone got any Duration Times to aim for with A or B engines ? (I’m just kinda curious – I’m not really the competitive type !).

Thanks Kermie - if I've read that right then.....

C B SD 299 s 7/31/00 Jeffry Ryan

...means the US Streamer Duration record for a B engine in the C class (age 19+) is just under 5 minutes. Blimey (I've gone right off the idea now !).

Can't find any mention of tall cliffs or gale-force winds in the rules (and we've plenty of both of those in Devon) - maybe I'm in with a chance after all.

I wonder if he was cheesed off about not getting the extra second.

hi.

The international rules aren't that much different from the NAR rules. If I can find them online, I will post.

As for FlisKits, we're available worldwide, so feel free to order either of the Cougars when we open next week. (right now we only have mail-order, but hope to have our shopping cart up by next week (here's hoping... :) ))

Both of our SD models use 13mm motors. Both have taken 1st place in various NAR sanctioned events over the years and are good solid designs that are easy to build. The main difference between them is the body diameter and the size of the competition streamer provided.

Good luck and let us know how you do!

jim

I'd wager winds are fine as long as they are within the framework of the Safety Code (again, don't know what applies to international rules), but I'll bet the cliff thing is out.

Most of the truly competetive designs these days are using body tubes made of vellum to save on weight. There's a great article in the NAR handbook on streamer duration that should help you design your own if you choose to go that route. Otherwise, having seen all the stuff on Jflis's personal website, I'd wager his stuff is pretty competitive too. Something you might want to look into is a piston launcher. It's reported to add about 10% to altitude, which should result in longer flights as well.

thanx for the kind words :p

both cougar models are suitable for piston (we hope to have a piston launcher available at some point). I usually use a tower launcher, although you would get more altitude with a piston. The 10% figure is pretty accurate.

Our kit(s) come with a pop-lug, so that helps save some drag (about 10% also) when used with a conventional launch pad.

7.2.2. Streamer Duration Models
The Streamer Duration Competition is open to models that are single-staged, powered by a single space model engine, containing one streamer for recovery purposes. The streamer must be a single homogenous unperforated rectangle of

flexible material i. e. fabric, tissue or plastic foil with a length to width ratio of 10: 1 minimum. At the narrow end of it a rigid support of 2 mm x 2 mm maximum cross-section together with a loop of thread attached at each end of the support
may be used to attach the streamer to the model's single shroud line. The streamer must completely unfurl during the flight. A competitor may change the streamer in a model at any time during the competition.

7. 3. TIMING AND CLASSIFICATION
Timing and Classification Rules 4. 8 will be used for this competition.

7. 4. SUB-CLASSES
For Parachute and Streamer Duration Competitions the classes and their respective maximum flight tines are:
CLASS TOTAL IMPULSE MAXIMUM MAXIMUM FLIGHT TIME (Newton-seconds) WEIGHT PARACHUTE STREAMER

(g) (sec) (sec)
S3A/ S6A 0 -2,5 100 300 180
S3B/ S6B 2,51 -5,0 100 420 240
S3C/ S6C 5,01 -10, 0 200 540 300
S3D/ S6D 10,01 -20,0 500 660 360

In addition, depending on the engine class, the model has to have a minimum length and a minimum diameter over 50% of the length:

2.4.4. Minimum dimensions of subclasses of classes S1, S2, S3, S5, S6 and S9 must not be less than:

Event Class Minimum diameter (mm) (for at least of 50 % of the
overall length and 20 % for S5)
Minimul overall Length (mm)

A 30 350
B 40 500
C 50 650
D 60 800
E 70 950
F 80 1100

see https://www.spacemodeling.com and https://www.fai.org

The 14th World Space Modeling Championships for Seniors and Juniors are being held in the Czech Republic this coming October.....

https://sazena2002.wz.cz/

shockie B)....

Back