Straight Tube Cuts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, unless that tube is really big, the right side of the sketch looks like a great way to liberate some of your fingers... I realize it's just a sketch, though, and you've thought of that. But I don't want any newbies happening by to get a wrong idea.
Power tools deserve respect. I think I was maybe 5 years old when I was taught that.

Pretty much anytime a power tool is mentioned though on this site, folks seem to get all squeamish.

I really need to take your advice and try this method of tube cutting. Something like this?

View attachment 549493
Yes sir.... that is the idea. If the off end is not square, you can approach it two ways.....

1) Get some sort of "mandrel" fixed in the tube that DOES have a square end or...
2) Use a flat/true stop block that is LARGER than the diameter in both directions so that the "high spot" is what the tube indexes on ALL THE WAY AROUND.
3) Low friction is important to reduce risk of this RISKY cut.

DISCLAIMER: I do NOT recommend ANYONE but me use this technique. IF you mess up, you will possibly have a saw blade spinning NOT in the table slot, and a long piece of composite tube that may/will explode if it binds and kicks out. IF you hurt yourself or damage something.... it is entirely on you. :)

The saw will happily EAT YOU if you let it.

TONS of cautions.... But it works really well.

Last edited:
Wow, unless that tube is really big, the right side of the sketch looks like a great way to liberate some of your fingers... I realize it's just a sketch, though, and you've thought of that. But I don't want any newbies happening by to get a wrong idea.
Under NO circumstances should the operator straddle the saw blade on this cut (left hand on left side of blade and right hand on right side of blade).
Operator should keep ENTIRE body to the left of the blade (the KEEP side). No one cares about the cut side until the cut is complete.

The sketch is a sketch.... This requires experience and great caution to pull off effectively and safely (safer).
I mean.... it IS a 12" circular saw that moves....

Gotta make SURE you have the chop limit set/restricted properly.... IF you are rotating, it is likely safer to only have the blade barely break the inner tube surface to reduce potential kicks....

LOW friction is key.... I learned this the hard way a LONG time ago. That is why I line the table, fence, and stop block with PTFE sheet.

I really need to take your advice and try this method of tube cutting. Something like this?

View attachment 549493

I do something similar, but with my table saw and cross cut sled. The sled is very, very, square so the tube is also very square. I use a stop block on one end and raise the blade through the sled to about twice the wall thickness of the tube. Then slide the sled until blade cuts through the bottom of the tube and then rotate the tube until it is cut. You can do any size tubing that will fit on your cross cut sled.

Tube cutting table saw.png

I do something similar, but with my table saw and cross cut sled. The sled is very, very, square so the tube is also very square. I use a stop block on one end and raise the blade through the sled to about twice the wall thickness of the tube. Then slide the sled until blade cuts through the bottom of the tube and then rotate the tube until it is cut. You can do any size tubing that will fit on your cross cut sled.

View attachment 549941
Thanks for taking the time to explain this, much appreciated!

View attachment 549941

Thank you for the illustration.... Except for the stop block size, your setup is very similar to mine.... just upside down.... sorta. :)

Yep.... I basically do this on my sliding compound miter saw.... Why?

Because I have a crappy 25 year old, tiny, Craftman table saw.... Of course, I am about to modify it heavily to get precision runners so I can build a proper sled.

I NEED the sled to add the finger jointing jig to make parts for my avbay.

So, bottom line.... I will likely move my tube cutting to the table saw..... Safer and easier...
Thank you for bringing it to my attention!! :D

Thank you for the illustration.... Except for the stop block size, your setup is very similar to mine.
Indeed. Everything fine with the illustration other than the stop block should really be larger than the diameter of whatever tube you're cutting/squaring in case the other side isn't square - which it sometimes isn't for the 1st end.

TP

I found this small 5" disc sander on the web search. It might be perfect for the condo patio use.
X9H8Pvs.jpg

surely you meant 400, as you wouldn't have anything left of the cardboard tube using that rough of sandpaper

I do mean 40, and don't call me Shirley! lol :computer:

I use the 40 grit on the disc sander for lots of things, such as deburring steel and sharpening my wood lathe tools. But it makes squaring up the end of tubing quick and easy too.

FWIW: I use a 120 grit belt. The small round roller on the belt makes contouring parts, and de-burring the inside of larger body tubes easy peazy.

001.JPG008.JPG001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG007.JPG008.JPG010.JPG011.JPG

Last edited:
I do mean 40, and don't call me Shirley! lol :computer:

I use the 40 grit on the disc sander for lots of things, such as deburring steel and sharpening my wood lathe tools. But it makes squaring up the end of tubing quick and easy too.

FWIW: I use a 120 grit belt. The small round roller on the belt makes contouring parts, and de-burring the inside of larger body tubes easy peazy.

View attachment 550871 View attachment 550872

I have a six inch Sander that is similar. Very useful.

My method is dependent on having some kind of tube insert to make tube rigid, but I use a standard pipe cutter. So, for ~$40 you can cut anything up to ~2.125" to 2.5" (depends on the pipe cutter you get/have) diameter with perfectly straight cuts.
So, where do I get the tube inserts from? I'm glad you asked! I have a 3D printer so, I measure them out and print cutting inserts to make the tube rigid so the pipe cutter can do its thing.
20221214_074658.jpg
Sorry about the lighting, used a flashlight to add light, flash on the camera made things too saturated.
Anyway, this is my pipe cutter. The tube has the insert in it that I 3D printed and both ends of the tube have been cut.

I do have another pipe cutter that cuts up to 3.5" diameter tubes, but it was pretty expensive, over $100. I wouldn't expect that to make sense more most people. I cut quite a few tubes, so it made sense to save time. I make rockets out of AT and CTI packaging tubes. 54mm packaging tubes were too big for the pipe cutter pictured above. I also make my own sugar motors and I use this same method for cutting liners/casting tubes.

Jeremy

My belt is 50 grit. I cut tube on bandsaw then square ends , if needed, on belt sander. I use a fence, my table is square, my fence is square, so just rotating lightly against belt will make perfectly square ends.

Attachments

• 20221214_070602.jpg
    20221214_070602.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
For small tubes, I use the Estes cutting guides with an Exacto hobby razor saw. I can hold it flat against the guides and usually get a relatively clean square cut. I do have to sand off the frayed edges. For larger tubes, ACE hardware has a hose clamp kit, with various size hose clamps. Usually the adjusting apparatus does get in the way, and if one is careful, one can loosen it up and rotate it out of the way. It worked well for me the first couple of times, but I seem to have lost my touch. Now I wind up with a bump or a dip along the tube edge

My method is dependent on having some kind of tube insert to make tube rigid, but I use a standard pipe cutter. So, for ~$40 you can cut anything up to ~2.125" to 2.5" (depends on the pipe cutter you get/have) diameter with perfectly straight cuts.
So, where do I get the tube inserts from? I'm glad you asked! I have a 3D printer so, I measure them out and print cutting inserts to make the tube rigid so the pipe cutter can do its thing.
View attachment 550873

Anyway, this is my pipe cutter. The tube has the insert in it that I 3D printed and both ends of the tube have been cut.

I do have another pipe cutter that cuts up to 3.5" diameter tubes, but it was pretty expensive, over $100. I wouldn't expect that to make sense more most people. I cut quite a few tubes, so it made sense to save time. I make rockets out of AT and CTI packaging tubes. 54mm packaging tubes were too big for the pipe cutter pictured above. I also make my own sugar motors and I use this same method for cutting liners/casting tubes.
I figured the rollers would make an indention in cardboard?

Back