Starting a scrathbuilders parts box

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat

Reaction score
Well, the scratch bug is starting to make me itch. I tend to try and design anything I create from things I have on hand. So my question is if you were given a chance to design the ultimate low power rocket designers beginners parts bin what would it include. Also where would you get the stuff. I understand the Estes "kit" isn't exactly a great deal and I don't know if anyone else has a similar box of goodies out there.

Thanks!
-jim

Try BRS Hobbies. Brian puts together a great box 'o parts for way less than the Estes Builder's Special. Only includes one nose cone though, if I recall. His service is the best!

OK, looking at the kit I don't see a nose cone - but still a great deal.

LOL! I passed the "scratchbuilding parts box" a long time ago!

A lot of us are even past the scratchbuilding parts room"!!!:rolleyes: Some of use are into multiple "rooms"!

I'm way out of control...but I don't care!:D

You don't BUY a parts box, you build it up from bits and pieces- fax roll cores, plastic nosecone-shaped sweet containers, butane gas cylinder covers, scraps of balsa, and so on.

Originally posted by spacecadet
You don't BUY a parts box, you build it up from bits and pieces- fax roll cores, plastic nosecone-shaped sweet containers, butane gas cylinder covers, scraps of balsa, and so on.

Yeah. What he said.

Having said that though, when running short of the basics, I've topped up with an Apo11o designer's special or two.

I have one of the ultimate scratch tools ,a small cheap lathe.I love it!

as far as tubes It's not worth it to me to fabricate or salvage odd sized stuff(thats often to flimsy or too heavy ,rarely just right).. I already have made lots of rings and cones that fit most standard tubes .. I just won't put forth the effort to pinch a few bucks on tubes. however I do all my own rings , wooden cones, chutes and even motor hooks or retainers.

and the ocasional help call to Sandman ofcourse.

the Redarrow tube pack is a good deal for starters.

I was thinking along the lines of "seeding" the parts collection with tubes, nc's, and such. Of course scrounging is always a great source for parts. I have lots of mailing type tubes under my bench but nothing else.

Styme thanks for the lathe idea. It never even crossed my mind. And I work in a woodshop. Go figure. LOL

I'm getting the idea from this and other posts that using tubes other than "rocketry" tubes is a total pain in the neck. I have plans for a 56% Black Brandt VI but turning the nc in a drill press wasn't making me real comfortable.

Originally posted by Rat
I'm getting the idea from this and other posts that using tubes other than "rocketry" tubes is a total pain in the neck.

It depends. I actually get a kick out of it.

Originally posted by hokkyokusei
It depends. I actually get a kick out of it.

nothing wrong with odd tubes,sorry not my intent to say that
just thats where"I" draw the line thats all. I have a Jack Daniels tube that I have set aside for one.

Originally posted by stymye
nothing wrong with odd tubes,sorry not my intent to say that
just thats where"I" draw the line thats all. I have a Jack Daniels tube that I have set aside for one.

Yea, sure, it's each to their own of course.

Another tip for stocking the parts box is to take advantage of any Hobby Lobby sales (if you have one in your area). Whenever they run a 40% or 50% off sale on rockets, grab several and break them down for your parts box. If you can still get them, the Screamin Mimi is a good parts rocket, as is the Guardian, Renegade and a couple of the X-Prize rockets. I also like to keep several 220-Swifts and Quarks around, for the nose cones.

Greg.

I would start with a trip to the home store and a trip to Wally World. Home store, PVC pipe in different sizes, blue insulation foam, Tite Bond II, a couple of framing nails, and dowels in odd sizes. Wally World, Craft paper, 2-part epoxy, Elmers wood filler, primer, meat trays (ask at the deli), upholstery thread, drop cloth, super glue,

That should get you started .........

Originally posted by plasticpaul
I would start with a trip to the home store and a trip to Wally World. Home store, PVC pipe in different sizes, blue insulation foam, Tite Bond II, a couple of framing nails, and dowels in odd sizes. Wally World, Craft paper, 2-part epoxy, Elmers wood filler, primer, meat trays (ask at the deli), upholstery thread, drop cloth, super glue,

That should get you started .........

Don't forget 110# Cardstock at Wally World - they carry Georgia Pacific brand, which is my favorite (white and smooth - 2nd favorite is Hammermill at Staples - not quite as smooth and my least favorite is wassau from Office Depot - so rough it's almost fuzzy!). Great for printing building rockets such as the Midnight Express, Caution, Art Applewhite's free saucer and rocket and all the scale models from various sites!

Greg

All the paper rockets work fine with old file folders. If your lucky enough you can even find them in different colors.

I think odd tubes are the way to go. In fact, I haven't bought a tube ever. I use odd tubes or roll my own small ones.

Now, if you really want some fun you have to start looking at everything as a potential rocket part. Case in point, the attached bbq sauce/happy meal toy arrangement.

Originally posted by maricopasem
Now, if you really want some fun you have to start looking at everything as a potential rocket part. Case in point, the attached bbq sauce/happy meal toy arrangement.

That's awesome! man I really need to free my imagination. I would have never thought of that. Or maybe this is the product of a mind that is totally obsessed by rocketry. :D Could be worse huh? LOL

Originally posted by maricopasem
I think odd tubes are the way to go. In fact, I haven't bought a tube ever. I use odd tubes or roll my own small ones.

One of my friends has a Jimmy Neutron rocket, which is basically just a regular rocket, but with a fast-food kids meal plastic Jimmy Neutron toy as the nose cone.

As for sources of materials, we're entering prime season for candy tubes at the store. For Halloween and Christmas, a LOT of companies will make special packaging where they sell small candies (like M&M's) in clear plastic tubes, sometimes even with rounded ends.

Also, when spring rolls around, go to your local craft store and pick up a bunch of the plastic Easter eggs. If you wait until the post-holiday sales, you can get a LOT for very little money.

Personally, I bought a pair of tube assortments from Fliskits to jump-start my builders box, along with a random assortment of BMS nosecones that I got from my local vendor. Speaking of which, as any of the major players ever heavily marketed a nose cone assortment? Seems that everyone around has fin stock, transitions, and tube assortments, but plastic and balsa nose cones are hard to find!

WW

"Obsessed" might be too strong a word. Then again, maybe not.

There will probably be many on this forum that will say that plastic items (eggs, straws, etc.) are unusable because glue won't adhere to the plastic. Not true. The trick is to rough up the attachment point(s) with sandpaper. If the plastic is rough any glue will adhere, including Elmer's washable school glue, the weakest junk there is.

A lot of guys knock the Estes parts box, but I like them every
so often.

I have purchased at least three over the years. I especially look
for older one's that might have been on the shelve for years.
They tend to have special parts like nose cones or other items
that are no longer made or sold.

Yes they are a little price'y but an old kit might be worth it on
occasion for those old parts.

Tubes, chutes and so on can be purchased a lot cheaper for sure
but don't count out the Estes box all together.

William

Back