Starship IFT-3: Pi Day!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting about the re-light in space. I wonder how they intend to manage ullage & settling in zero G? Cold gas thrusters, I suppose?

They are planning doing some prop transfer inside the tanks, so maybe they just top off the tank with that to avoid ullage issues? That's the only thing I can think of other than thrusters.

I think Starship will probably make orbit. That’s what I’m most confident of.

If it completes all those tests, then I suggest celebrating with a pi day pie. It’s probably good Musk didn’t schedule this for 4/20, like he likes to do, because the celebration means a lost afternoon. Go with the pie.
It isn't an actual orbital attempt but they plan to get to orbital speed & height and to bring it down before completing a full orbit. Its splitting hairs, I know, but there are also going to be the whiners out there that will take an opposite view and say "look, they couldn't even make it to orbit, whaaa!" I suspect IFT-4 will have additional tasks and will more likely do one or more full orbits during its flight. Depending on the success of a soft water landing, IFT-4 may either repeat that or perhaps try out a captured landing (much less likely IMHO).

Pi Day celebration - I think I shall definitely partake, probably a lemon meringue or a Saskatoon Berry pie. What's YOUR pleasure?

It’s probably good Musk didn’t schedule this for 4/20, like he likes to do, because the celebration means a lost afternoon. Go with the pie.

Aww c'mon, if you pace yourself you can totally lose an afternoon to pie!

Signed,
Make mine Michigan tart cherry

Also signed,
Scoop of vanilla on the side

Space shuttle glide slope was not so much a slope as a cliff. Most the the descent was at 1:1 (one ft forward for each ft down). Once sub-sonic it would get to 4.5 : 1 for final approach but that only lasted a very short time.

Latest posts

Back