Stabilizing with Nosecone Counterweight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got an L2 rocket build that's a minimum diameter 75mm motor. In the process of building, I realized my avionics and chutes would need a redesign, so the initial stability caliber dropped lower than I'm comfortable with. This is because the lower airframe already has fins epoxied to it, which is a fairly large investment of time and money to redo.

Long story short, my current plan is to counterweight the nosecone with a few hundred grams and overbuild the avionics bay to counterweight the slightly undersized fins and bring the stability caliber back up.

The rocket will hit ~ mach 1.6, and openrocket is outputting stable flights with seemingly good stabilities.

I would like to either learn here or find resources to understand from a more theoretical standpoint how stability changes through transonic regions, which assumptions are still fair to make, and which assumptions need more work on my part to back up. I know openrocket gets iffy after mach, so I'd like to be more certain of safety.

Try RASAero for Mach+ simulations. It seems to be pretty accurate for aerodynamic stuff

Back