Stability measurement as a caliber or as a percentage

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetricRocketeer

Member of the US Metric Association
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi TRF colleagues,

In vNARCON 2023's excellent presentation on OpenRocket, I learned that you can choose to have stability shown as a caliber or as a percentage. I had not known that before.

So, showing stability as a caliber — this is what I have always used — the formula of course is (CP - CG) / body-tube diamter. Thus, for one rocket that I have drawn in OR, the CP is 130 cm, the CG is 114 cm, and the body-tube diameter is 10.2 cm. Hence, the caliber is shown as 1.62. (Incidentally, the result should be 1.57 — so, what causes that discrepancy?) However, that is not my main question.

Here is my main question. If I set my preference to show stability as a percentage, the result is 9.42%. But what does that mean, please — 9.42% of what? How is that number generated?

Thank you.

Stanley

Hi TRF colleagues,

In vNARCON 2023's excellent presentation on OpenRocket, I learned that you can choose to have stability shown as a caliber or as a percentage. I had not known that before.

So, showing stability as a caliber — this is what I have always used — the formula of course is (CP - CG) / body-tube diamter. Thus, for one rocket that I have drawn in OR, the CP is 130 cm, the CG is 114 cm, and the body-tube diameter is 10.2 cm. Hence, the caliber is shown as 1.62. (Incidentally, the result should be 1.57 — so, what causes that discrepancy?) However, that is not my main question.

Here is my main question. If I set my preference to show stability as a percentage, the result is 9.42%. But what does that mean, please — 9.42% of what? How is that number generated?

Thank you.

Stanley
(CP-CG)/rocket length

Hi @Neutronium95, @neil_w, and @Buckeye, as well as anyone else,

Thank you for your informative responses.

Now to the discrepancies, please.

CP = 130 cm
CG = 114 cm
Length = 175 cm
Maximum diameter = 10.2 cm

So, why doesn't the caliber equal 1.57 instead of the indicated 1.62?

And why doesn't the percentage equal 9.14% instead of the indicated 9.42%?

Thank you.

Stanley

Consider that for a canonical 10:1 ratio rocket, 10% of length = 1 caliber. So that’s sort of the “center point”.

I've read that 8-15 percent of overall length is an old rule of thumb that was accepted for sounding rockets. It's possible I have the paper or manual that comes from saved in PDF and just haven't read it yet.

To me, just considering the physics of what's happening, it makes a lot more sense to use the overall length as the denominator than to use the diameter of the BT. There has been a lot of digital ink (and real ink before that, I'm sure) spilled about how you can get away with less than a caliber on short, fat rockets and long, skinny rockets need more. That's because the rule of thumb of "caliber" picked the wrong variable to use as the denominator. Use a more logical variable in the denominator, and you likely end up with a more effective rule that's applicable to a broader range of situations with less hand waving and fudge factor required.

Last edited:
CP = 130 cm
CG = 114 cm
Length = 175 cm
Maximum diameter = 10.2 cm

So, why doesn't the caliber equal 1.57 instead of the indicated 1.62?

And why doesn't the percentage equal 9.14% instead of the indicated 9.42%?
That looks like a bit much to be rounding error... as always, please post the .ork so we can look at it.

Hi @JoePfeiffer and everyone else,

Thank your for your reply.

This data data is from an Apogee Peregrine, but I am getting these discrepancies from every rocket.

Stanley

Attachments

• Peregrine.ork
    80.7 KB · Views: 0
Back