St. Louis Aeromodeling Extravaganza

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This next photo was the first flight (finally!!) of my Estes Optima. I loaded it up with 3 x E9-8's. The delay was a tad long, but it would have been just fine (I think) if all three engines would have lit. It flew on 2 of them. The third was slightly charred around the nozzle, but the igniter plug and igniter were still in place after recovery. Gentle landing under the 36" nylon army surplus chute.

Here it is with the motors lighting. The pic is just a tad early:

Here's a liftoff shot of my 226% upscaled USS Atlantis on 3 x D12-5's. (more on this ill-fated flight in another thread... :( )

Here's a cool shot of my two Estes Patriots. On the left is my scratch clone of the Citation Patriot loaded up with a D12-5. On the right is my M-104 Patriot missle lifting off on a D12-5.

Both of these rockets flew *beautifully*. Arrow straight and great height. Nice recoveries on 18" Thrustline ripstop chutes.

Both rockets drifted downrange quite a ways.

My brother and my son went to retrieve them (I was working on recovery of my Starblazer X-20 at the time.)

Anyway, there is an RC airplane pavilion and runways at the opposite end of the field from the launching pads that was very busy with the Aeromodelling Extravaganza underway.

As my brother went to recover the M-104, he approached the pavilion looking for it. Him telling the story, as he approched the pavilion the RC flyers were saying to him "Perfect landing!" So he made some smart-alec answer like "Well, I calculated for that based on the flight trajectory and wind speed." So, he said the RC folks started laughing and clapping. Apparently, the rocket landed right *dead center* in the middle of their runway!!

Everyone was amused, and he recovered the rocket with only a slight paint nick on one fin (no problem.) He even said that the RC flyers were asking him questions about all the rockets being launched at the other end of the field.

Here's the launch pic:

Here's a final pic, the liftoff shot my 266% upscaled Starblazer X-20 on a pair of E9-6's. An awesome flight, but it landed on top of one of the few trees along the side of the range!

Special thanks to Bowhunter for borrowing a telescoping fiberglass pole from a fellow club member and helping me get it back. Minor damage from pulling it out of the tree, but easily repairable.

It was a great time and it was great to get to meet forecheck and get to see some of his work and it was outstanding craftsmanship everything looked so sweet

A great time was had by all I think. It was really hot on Saturday but the rain stayed away. I managed to snap a few pictures when I didn't have something else to do at the launch. It was great to meet everyone. Now that this is out of the way we'll start focusing on our high power season as soon as the crops our out of the fields.

First up is Rob Fisher's Full Moon just about to leave the rod.

here is Don Hanson's Crayon on a H242 I believe. All I know is that snapping the shutter made me completely miss the launch. But I got the picture.

Here's a shot of one RC plane's. Lot's of neat stuff going on over on that end of the field but I didn't have any time to make it over and check it out.

Originally posted by jflis
That is a sweet launch pix. Nice and straight, good distinction on the smoke trails. very nice!

I'll say... Great pic Bow!

Originally posted by OARJeepr
A great time was had by all I think. It was really hot on Saturday but the rain stayed away. I managed to snap a few pictures when I didn't have something else to do at the launch. It was great to meet everyone. Now that this is out of the way we'll start focusing on our high power season as soon as the crops our out of the fields.

First up is Rob Fisher's Full Moon just about to leave the rod.
[/QUOTE

Hey, that's a nice pic! I didn't even realize that you took it. I didn't mean to leave w/o saying adios, but I was helping out some stranded inner tubers by giving one of em a ride back to Castlewood park. ;)

Forechecks rockets are works of art & far too nice to be launched!
We're talking museum quality!:eek:

C'mon, Rob....

There are plenty of other guys on this forum that come to mind that I can't even hold a candle to (billEblurz comes to mind....)

I'm just glad that all the other folks that came out had as much time as *I* did. This weeekend was very special for me - It was the first time that my brother and I launched rockets together as "adults." The last time that my brother and I launched rockets together was at that same park and 18 to 20 years ago.

It was really special for me. Lots of fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The beauty is, we are both looking forward to launching together soon and many more times after that. We might even make the Elsberry launch coming up - he really had a good time!

Ya gota come in Oct. because the 1st annual Mid-West TRF reuion will be held at the Elsberry launch in Oct. It will be a good time and I have many things to give out at the TRF canopy witch will be huge cause there will be two canopys strapped together and I wont have the inlaws with us this time (taking up room in the van) with some good stuff

Well I couldn't let my bro speak for me now could I? Your event guys was a great time and I had a great time. Looking forward to the next event. By the way where is Elsburry?

Elsberry is northwest of St. Louis. Take 70 west to St. Peter's and then head north. Probably an hour from downtown St. Louis. I'll post better directions when i get a chance.

edit:
Better directions

From St. Louis go west on I-70 to St. Peters. Exit to MO Hwy 79 (exit #220) and go north to Elsberry (30 miles). Stop at the first stop sign as you come into the town of Elsberry. At the stop sign look to your right and you will see a Phillips 66 and a Shell service station. Turn right (east) between the Phillips 66 and the Shell station and follow the gravel road across the railroad tracks (CAUTION: THIS IS AN UNGUARDED CROSSING AND TRAINS DO TRAVEL THRU OFTEN). The site is the large plowed field immediately east of the railroad tracks. We'll be set up farther out on the dirt road, toward the middle of the field.

Back