SSSSOOOOOO LONG!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theory

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Time to build the highest flying kit Estes has ever produced. Aim is to build these more or less stock with only minor modifications to the recovery system for longevity. Yes, looking to build a robust recovery system for a minimum diameter two stager ; - )

IMG_6276.jpeg

IMG_6277.jpeg

IMG_6280.jpeg

IMG_6278.jpeg

Looks like a fun rocket. Seems like it could make good use of a nice small tracker.
Could probably haul on something like a G80-F15. Don’t know how feasible that setup is though.

Will build these one at a time as to incorporate any “lessons learned” into the second build.

The parts are top notch. Heavy tubes and a darn cool nose cone. The fins will work for the intended motors, though would upgrade to basswood if I was going to fly composite F and G motors. *might consider that for the second one as sending one of these on a G38 would get close to 5,000’ at nearly 500MPH

Parts:

IMG_6288.jpeg

Fins:

IMG_6289.jpeg

Close up for those who want the measurements:

IMG_6291.jpeg

@James Owen

Not sure I see this as a good candidate for staging composite to black powder, thought will absolutely fly the full tilt F15 to F15 this fall at Battlepark!

Looks like a fun rocket. Seems like it could make good use of a nice small tracker.
Could probably haul on something like a G80-F15. Don’t know how feasible that setup is though.

Back in the late 80s and early 90s composite to BP staging was easy due to the available product back then that is not now.

What are your recovery system modifications? If you aren’t using a tracker, maybe a long Mylar streamer and good binoculars are in order.

Will go with a Kevlar shock cord and a 6" X 60" thin mill streamer from Top Flight. Also going to look at adding a small chute for lower flight to make landings easier on the airframe.

The rocket has an 8" payload bay incorporated into the design, will see if our clubs tracker will fit. Thinking it might.

Nice looking Kit. Looking at that nose cone I can't help but think we're going to be getting a Pro Series Blue Sapphire at some point. It only makes sense to do so with the limited run on the originals.

Depending on what kind of price I can find on one of these in the future, I might pick one up but I'm not interested in staging. Mine would be built single stage. There's no where around here to fly it with any reasonable expectation of recovery even on a single 29mm F motor.

My thought was to build a "pro series" Xtreme. A true 29mm dagger of a rocket right there.

...may have to do that here soon. Have an Xtreme in my fleet as its fun on A motors at my neighborhood field and I love it. A 29mm "full send" version definitely fits my flying style.

My thought was to build a "pro series" Extreme. A true 29mm dagger of a rocket right there.

...may have to do that here soon. Have an Extreme in my fleet as its fun on A motors at my neighborhood field and I love it. A 29mm "full send" version definitely fits my flying style.

The fin shape is already pretty close. Isn't the Extreme pretty much a High Flyer with paper fins and a conical nose cone?

Worked on the fins this fins and prepped the booster and lower sustainer tubes. Lines were drawn using my trusty angle aluminum. Then sanded along the line with 150 grit to allow the glue to easily “wick” in. Lightly re-drew the line and we’re good.

Went with a fairly aggressive airfoil on the sustainer fins and simply “knocked the edges off” the booster fins.

IMG_6304.jpeg

IMG_6305.jpeg

IMG_6306.jpeg

Huge fan of this stuff for these rockets:

IMG_6307.jpeg

You know what’s going on here:

IMG_6308.jpeg

If, and when, Estes releases the "E60" core-burner motors ( hopefully, there will be an E60-0 ), imagine the "SO LONG" on an E60 - H13 combo . . . "BYE-BYE" !

Not sure about that combo here. This really isn’t the rocket for BP - composite staging

Not sure about that combo here. This really isn’t the rocket for BP - composite staging
I think it would be pretty easy, using "old school" staging methods.

A length of home-made "igniter wick" would be inserted into the H13 end-burner. A short length would protrude from the nozzle. When the E60-0 burns through, the igniter wick is lit and then, in turn, the H13 is ignited. To "speed up" the burn of the igniter wick, it can be "sheathed" with heat-shrink tubing, leaving just the "head" fully-exposed . . . The burn is nearly instantaneous, when confined in such a manner.

"Back in the day", Thermalite would have been the material of choice, but there are alternatives. ( PDF below, article by Dan Williams )

Dave F.

Attachments

• thermalite.jpg
    thermalite.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Thermalite Equivalent Fuse.pdf
    133.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Correction: the article is from Dan Williams; only the comment at the end is mine. Dan is an outstanding amateur pyrotechnician and his (former) web page can be found with a search. There are other alternatives for rapid fire transfer; I'll post in the Research (Restricted) forum if there's interest.

Back