Squat Query

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hardline

Ecstatic and Joyous
Reaction score
I purchased a Mad Cow Squat during the "Black" Sales and and interested in how others have built and painted their Squats. I have ran a search query through TRF and also looked at Rocket Reviews.

I have already determined that I will be using the nose cone area for a) recovery room and b) adding nose weight and I have purchased a retainer for "ease" of build and I plan to use a 38 to 54mm adapter to fly G through I motors

If you have a picture of your Squat and would comment on your building process and what you did "right" and what you would do differently I would appreciate it.

Here's the Squat my wife built for her Level 1 cert.
It was build basically the same way you're talking about, lopped off the bottom of the
nosecone for recovery space. She put 2oz of noseweight in it to be on the safe side.
Can't remember the motor she flew it on now though, I-161 maybe.
The fins were foamed in as well, foam from the top CR to the base.

Ron

Em Squat.jpg

I saw a Squat yesterday at the LUNAR launch with a very interesting paint scheme. Bright Rusto fluoro pink, misted with black, and sealed with Rusto Crystal Clear. From chatting with rocketeer I learned that he had purchased his Squat during the Madcow Black Friday sale as well. The nosecone base had been removed for recovery storage but no nose weight per se had been added but he had used a large eyebolt in the fore bulkhead. The owner also said he was using the Squat as a test bed for his Frenzy build and used no fillets at all in the construction to see how well it would hold up. Side note: I saw two Frenzy's fly yesterday as well. Sweet cardboard rockets.

My personal Squat is still in the priming stage. The nosecone has had the base removed, 60 grams of lead ballast epoxy and bamboo skewered in place, 3" diameter bulkhead with stainless steel u-bolt installed. The fin can has both internal and external fillets, the top centering was moved backward to provide a cap on top of the forward fin tangs, and railbutton blocks mounted to the centering rings. I'm going with my usual paint scheme: Rusto fluoro pink, Rusto metallic black fin can from the fin leading edge back, and everything over coated with Rusto Crystal Clear. Yesterday I was checking out the CTI 54 1 grain cases, closure, the Pro54 DAT, and the I150T reload. Go big or go home.

739755_401238656631132_941503962_o.jpg272808_401235716631426_617326527_o.jpg

Heres my squat. Decals from stickershock23, of course!

Back