spray paint...we card

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Walmart has been checking IDs for spray paint for a long time...

Not due to Graffiti, but huffing.

Originally posted by brianc
Walmart has been checking IDs for spray paint for a long time...

Not due to Graffiti, but huffing.

Yep - they do it for all aerosols and glues. That's been around for a long time.

I think there's a similar thing in my town. Both local hobby shops won't sell me any spray paint, but Halfords, a large automotive store will happily sell me dozens of large cans. Ah well :rolleyes:

Phil

This has already happened in my town but its not a problem for me, i just have my parents pick me up some spray paint whenever they go to the hardware store.

Never had a problem with buying spray paint around here. But there is a law on buying solvents, you have to be 18.

I'm certainly not carded at Wal-Mart when buying spray paint, but I often like using their automated check-out when the lines are long. The only problem is with spray paints it won't complete the checkout until it's been validated by a salesperson. It can be aggravating. And all because of idiots needing to get high by huffing the aerosols...a real nice way to damage a lot of brain cells. But I can understand the stores needing to protects their b*tts.

Originally posted by MarkM
I'm certainly not carded at Wal-Mart when buying spray paint, but I often like using their automated check-out when the lines are long. The only problem is with spray paints it won't complete the checkout until it's been validated by a salesperson. It can be aggravating. And all because of idiots needing to get high by huffing the aerosols...a real nice way to damage a lot of brain cells. But I can understand the stores needing to protects their b*tts.

They do it when you buy motors also.

last time I bought motors as wal mart the girl just got a real confused look because it asked if I was over 14! not many 14 year olds carrying IDs yet, I know I wasn't back then. Worst part was it kept stopping her cuz the spray paint came next (18) and she didn't ring up the Jager till last (21 of corse).

Have you though about seeking special permission say.........a letter from the local police (after you tell them you construct model rockets) You may just need to provide a reference stating you are of good character or they might just say to get somebody of legal age to purchase it for you. There are always ways to get around things especially if they know you are responsible and you go about it the right way.

Man,

I wish somebody would card me!

For anything. ;)

I know that it sounds like a pain, but w/ the way civilazation is these days, its probaly for the best. With people "huffing" and graffitting everything, its not really all that bad. I know we as rocketry people wouldnt do that kind of stuff, but stores cant tell that....

Originally posted by Gus
Man,

I wish somebody would card me!

For anything. ;)

Soon enough you will carded again - this time for Senior's Discounts! Ouch!

Paul (Not yet a Senior - except for NAR Dues!)

"The council voted 6-1 to approve a plan that will restrict the sale of spray paint to anyone under age 18 who doesn't have parental permission."

I can see how they check if you're under 18, but how do they ensure you haven't got parental permission?

Originally posted by spacecadet
I can see how they check if you're under 18, but how do they ensure you haven't got parental permission?

I think that it would be your responsibility to show parental permission, such as a letter or bringing the parent with you.

Out here in California, I've always been carded for spray paint. I turned 18 ten years ago and I still get carded :)

Soon enough you will carded again - this time for Senior's Discounts! Ouch!

Getting carded for the Senior Citizen's Discount isn't too bad...

It's when you STOP getting carded for the Senior Discount that really hurts! :)

Originally posted by Rob Fisher
They do it when you buy motors also.

And you must admit we are all guilty of huffing model rocket motor exhaust whether we want to or not!

Ack, I propose that the NAR amend its rules to require clubs to check IDs before attendees are allowed to breathe.

(sorry, sounded funnier in my head before I typed it)

(mmmmmm....AP and BP fumes....mmmmmm)

It's been that way in CA for a long time. I think they are concerned more about vandalism than people huffing paint. Kids can do very stupid things with spray paint.

Originally posted by rokitflite
And you must admit we are all guilty of huffing model rocket motor exhaust whether we want to or not!
Scott, I think huffing involves more than just second-hand inhalation. Allegedly.

I've heard of places that card for wide tip markers also

We had a guy (in his 40s or 50s) at our hobby store a few years back who was addicted to Testors plastic model cement. We knew he was huffing it but we could not prove it. One day he finally made a comment about how sniffing glue was an expensive habbit (he had bought over 200 tubes in one month with all sorts of excuses as to what he was using it for). At that point we refused to sell him any more and he threatened us with legal action! He proceeded to send friends in to buy it for him, then several months later we never heard from him again... I guess the poor soul killed himself. Amazing.:rolleyes:

Here our Hobby Lobby's/Michaels card for glass etching supplies. The newest trend in vandalism is to go dowtown to the glass buildings and etch graffitti into them. Now they cover the glass with a thin layer of plastic but it is starting to show up on cars.... :(

Edward

Back