Spear-Chuka

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
I got a box full of tubes and just had to play. I came up with this. Main BT 55 inner tubefin BT 50 and outer BT60. If I go with the "spears" they are bt 5s Id put these in the middel of the outer tube fin. Ill have 3 tube fins on it. Ill call this one the Spear-Chuka

Spear-Chuka.JPG

Spear-Chuka1.JPG

Spear-Chuka2.JPG

Tacked the tubes on with some CA Gell. Now Im looking at a recessed boattail. The main BT is a 55. In the pic, I have a PNC 50 with centering rings on it and slid it up the BT, just to ,yesssss-Get the look!;) IF I cut it down so I can get an 18 in it I think it will look cool. It will give it a look as if the "Flame" is coming from up inside the BT. If ya get my drift.???? Im a big fan of boattails,cones,nozzles,fliskit mounts or something on the motor end. To me, most rockets that have just a tube and the end of a motor sticking out looks rough and not finished,trimmed out ,ect.

Spear-Chuka3.JPG

Spear-Chuka4.JPG

Scotty,

really cool design! Looking forward to watching this one progress....

Later,
EV

Scotty,

really cool design! Looking forward to watching this one progress....

Later,
EV
Ya me too,"looking forward ,that is." Im sure Im not the only one that starts a scratch with an idea and it changes as you go.Ill be at work or where ever and all of a sudden Ill get an idea for a build Im working on. Like the "Foray" (4fin-stingray) I knew I wanted to ad something more to the wing tips and for the life of me I couldnt get the picture persay. Then one eve I was on the porch letting the dog out and BAM! it comes to me. wierd or what?????Anywhoo- Thanks for the props. El Cheapo mentioned 13mm out boards on this. So Im not sure NOW where Ill put the "spears"-in the BT 50s or rite on the main BT or in the outer tubes in the BT60s-SEE what I mean??? Its crazy dude, its crazy!!!!

13mm outboard motors???? I think so.
Now I gota think about that!!!!!:D I have an idea for the SR71 I got from ya. Seeing you instructed me to MOD it, I cannt JUST build it the way it comes.:y: Ever see 2 SR71s together? Im thinking of building 2 (I have an extra NC) Have 2 joined to a BT 70 or 80. Keep the pods off each one of the wings. 1 will be the left wing and the other the right wing and glue the wings (and whole SR71)to the bigger BT. I think it will work.Well ,at least for 1 launch.

Scott, I think I'm seeing what you're talkin' about for the SR-71.

I say build the Spear-Chucka for outboards. It doesn't mean you have to fly it that way. I shouldn't add too much weight at all. Plus, you can use two different nose cones, one with added weight and one without for flying with the outboards.

Go the "fins" on the spears, then put them in the outertubes. I did something funky as I got one spear just under 1/2 longer then the other two.I think it was the long of the short ,angle of the fa-dangle thing. I didnt catch this when putting them in. It messed me up in the head after as I was eye-balling it. Easy fix.So now I guess its time to put the glue to it all.While thats setting tonight I may build the motor mount assemble..... then again, I might not......:rolleyes:

Spear-Chuka5.JPG

Spear-Chuka6.JPG

Spear-Chuka7.JPG

Spear-Chuka8.JPG

Cut the PNC tip down so 18 slides into it. Cut the back of it right off. 4" of BT 20 with 55 to 20 rings. Put small hunk of BT-50 on end of PNC and then a 55 to 50 ring. Once its all slid together it centers itself.Anywhoo-I like it. Got the look I was after.

Spear-Chuka9.JPG

Spear-Chuka10.JPG

Spear-Chuka12.jpg

Well I did a few things today on the build. First I didnt like how short it was,it being a "spear" I felt it looked better with a longer shaft. And this Im sure helped in the stability of it. I added 6" to it. Well AFTER I glued the coupler and 6" on, I took out my "Sunward" BT-55 baffle kit . I looked at it and looked at the rocket and said "CRAP" I cannt get the baffel in the tube now with the top of BT coupler only about 4-5"down from top. DUH!!!!!!So I guess I use wadding. Then I got this idea to put little tubes up front and use one as a lug. NOT!!!!! I looked at the one you can see in pic and DID NOT LIKE IT!. I was like "WHY?? do that and take away the Long Shaft Look . I mean thats why I added the 6" in the first place. So Ill thro a 3/16"x1" lug in one of the inner tubes on bottom and one equal distance on other side of cg.Then Im leaving it along!!!!Sometimes "less is more".

Spear-Chuka15.JPG

Spear-Chuka16.JPG

Spear-Chuka17.JPG

as I stated before, I added 6" inches to the top (after thought) and didnt put the BT-55 baffle in before and now I cannt cuz that will only leave about 3" of tube to stuff the cord and chute in.So, I got to thinking, why couldnt I cut the 6" of tube and coupler off and put in the baffle and use it as the coupler and add the 6"-7" of tube on this?. Will the baffle still be to close to chute? I mean, How far away does a baffle have to be from the chute (and motor) to work? I can cut more tube off and put the baffle lower, maybe this would be better? Anywhoo- right now the thing is-I got it all together and did a swing test with the motor,wadding,chute ,cord,ect . Its ready to fly the way it is. I may or may not mess with it. But, the "Q"s I ask will help me in future builds. Any info on this=THANKS!

for my bt55 birds I generally leave 6" between the end of the tube and the baffle. what ever space is left betwixt baffle and motor varies depending on the length of the tube.
rex

for my bt55 birds I generally leave 6" between the end of the tube and the baffle. what ever space is left betwixt baffle and motor varies depending on the length of the tube.
rex
Thanks. Like I said-Its pretty much ready to go the way it is.. I have one BT-55 baffle. I may just let it be (Spear-Chuka) and use it in someother bird. Heres a pic I found and may make it into decals to put on the outer tubes.

spear chukka cartoon.jpg

Well, I thought I had a GOOD vid of this launch.Some how its not there??? Anywhoo- I flew it on a B6-4 and it was just perfect!!!! Im so Bummed I dont have the vid of it. Heres some pics before and after the lost (vid).

Spear-Chuka18.JPG

Spear-Chuka19.JPG

Spear-Chuka20.JPG

Well, I thought I had a GOOD vid of this launch.Some how its not there??? Anywhoo- I flew it on a B6-4 and it was just perfect!!!! Im so Bummed I dont have the vid of it. Heres some pics before and after the lost (vid).

too bad, Guess you'll just have to fly it again :wink:

Braden

Nice rocket,, i bet that snow buffered the landing some.

I dare you to build an igloo with all that snow!!

Nice rocket,, i bet that snow buffered the landing some.
I dare you to build an igloo with all that snow!!
Always wanted to try that.If the snow was any softer, the Chuka woulda disapeared into a WhiteHole

Last edited:
Back