SOS!!! Missileworks RRC3 Extreme Testing Issues

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UPscaler

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm supposed to be flying my L2 flight tomorrow, and I decided to test my unflown Missileworks RRC3 Extreme prior to flying it with a live ematch, no black powder, of course.

I flipped the first three dip switches up to put it in Diagnostic / Continuity Inputs & All Outputs Test mode. We set up two matches on the main and drogue (one of which has been in our stash for a while, and one of which I just purchased). It beeped three times repeatedly as it should to confirm that there was indeed continuity on both outputs. However, when I press the program button, nada. Nothing. It's interesting to me because one of the ematches that we had sitting around was one of the same that we have flown many times before with no issues. There's a brand new 9 volt hooked up to the alt, so I'm at a loss as to why they aren't firing. Could be the altimeter. My other alt on the sled is an RRC2+, so I have no way to test that one on the sled.

What do you guys think? Is the altimeter bad? When I press the button you would think it would interrupt the beeping and maybe beep as it's supposed to be firing the outputs, but the stream of three beeps just keeps going.

I'm at a loss, I need help!

Braden

It's late, I'm a helping type of person, so here's what I'd do in your situation and given I don't know anything about the RRC3...I'd set up the RRC3 in the bay as it is set for launch, tape up all sampling holes but one, hook up igniters (or wired incandescent flashlight bulbs) - no bp charges!, set it to be ready and armed, use a cordless vac or regular vac with hose attachment and wand with as small a nozzle as you have, put vac hose to the last sampling hole, remove and see if it works. I've used this repeatedly on my Stratologger CF with excellent results. Registers maybe 500', but it works. I'm suggesting this since this is almost replicating actual flight conditions (rather than "test"/diagnostic mode...why bother?) and you can do this at night without disturbing everyone. YMMV and best luck!

Last edited:
the test mode is good for seeing if the altimeter will actually fire the ematches you're using. Kind of helpful, actually.

Tripping it with a vacuum is just as good of course.

I've always tested my RRC3 through the laptop connection, never tried it like you are. a few thoughts-

A) see if anyone has a USB connection for it tomorrow and test it that way
b)put the "failed" ematch over a 9volt and see if it works.
c) plug some christmas lights into the main/apogee event hookups. run the test again. if they don't light up, you're running the test incorrectly.

I use a Foodsaver marinating bowl and the Foodsaver to pull the vacuum with the entire alt, battery, and christmas bulbs instead of ematches to test in the flight mode, if the bulbs light up after pulling vacuum and then releasing it its good to fly.

That kind of backs up my "why bother" part...to me (and in this specific situation), if you're not familiar enough with it and have a lot of other things going on, it's adding another unfamiliarity where you can do something wrong/something can go wrong. My 2c.

Good luck on the L2! :)

Last edited:
Back