Something Crazy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A guy in my club built a rocket with one of these eggs as a nose cone a couple of years ago. He used Easter candy as nose weight with the idea that at ejection the candy would fly out and we would have fun picking it up. I don't remember what went wrong, but the rocket crashed into the creek that runs next to our launch pads and most of the candy sank to the bottom of the creek. Some of it floated on top. We eventually got it out of the creek.

A guy in my club built a rocket with one of these eggs as a nose cone a couple of years ago. He used Easter candy as nose weight with the idea that at ejection the candy would fly out and we would have fun picking it up. I don't remember what went wrong, but the rocket crashed into the creek that runs next to our launch pads and most of the candy sank to the bottom of the creek. Some of it floated on top. We eventually got it out of the creek.
Was it still edible?

I seem to have lost the quote option. Anyhoo, in response to BABAR, we are mostly middle-aged guys out standing around in the middle of a farm field launching rockets. Of course we ate it! Stream candy... yum.

I seem to have lost the quote option. Anyhoo, in response to BABAR, we are mostly middle-aged guys out standing around in the middle of a farm field launching rockets. Of course we ate it! Stream candy... yum.

We have a "pig pond" on the edge of our field, that would definitely been a no-go.

I still like your WarHeads....Those things are some wicked candies...

Hobby Lobby is where I got mine and I am sure they have some more....;):D

I got most of our eggs from Walmart after Easter last year when everything was 75% off. I am planning on using the Warheads tube with the Warheads egg I have which will give it a wide fairing payload bay. Not sure what I want to fly in it yet. The red egg in the above picture is actually Silly Putty, so I'll have to give that one some serious sanding if I want to get rid of the textures.

I got most of our eggs from Walmart after Easter last year when everything was 75% off. I am planning on using the Warheads tube with the Warheads egg I have which will give it a wide fairing payload bay. Not sure what I want to fly in it yet. The red egg in the above picture is actually Silly Putty, so I'll have to give that one some serious sanding if I want to get rid of the textures.

Those are tiny my friend you need to step your game up.....LOL Head out to HL they are 40% off and you get three !!! The smallest is the one I used for this rocket. The biggest one is something like 16" tall !!!!:eek::D

I do have some bigger ones, but I still have yet to find a use for them. The biggest I have is 8 or 9 inches in diameter, and over a foot tall. (haven't measured it exactly yet)

Me and my daughter started one of these several months back. Still have yet to finish it.

Attachments

• 20200117_104908.jpg
    20200117_104908.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 20200117_104844.jpg
    20200117_104844.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 20200122_125946.jpg
    20200122_125946.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 20200117_104722.jpg
    20200117_104722.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 41
Me and my daughter started one of these several months back. Still have yet to finish it.

I LOVE it !! Your rear ejection may have been the better way to go. I am have to sort out a way to keep the NC on a little better. I am leaning towards shear pins with thin layers G-10 or cure fiber glass to reinforce the plastic. Thus far I have added 2oz of lead to the nose. I think the lead combined with the ring fin should give me a decent flight.

To bad we cannot fly them together....LOL

Rocket. From the planet Ork. Orket. Rorket.
Eh, that name pun might be a dead end. Maybe upscale it to take N motors and call it the NNNanuNanu.

I LOVE it !! Your rear ejection may have been the better way to go. I am have to sort out a way to keep the NC on a little better.

With a little bit of modification can use same trick as saucer rocket (Tachyon Deflector?)

Extend motor mount all the way to inside of nose egg. Mount a cut off motor, or a self rolled tube of the same diameter, that fits inside the motor mount. Glue this to the inside of the nose egg, so that when you put nose on, this section slips into the motor mount, and the outer edge of the nose still shoulders into the edges of the base.

An added plus is that with the longer motor mount, your recovery system is less likely to come into contact with the ejection blast.

You need really good motor retention technique, as there is very little space between motor and the nose tube, so pressure builds up really fast. Even if you have a motor clip, not a bad idea to put a piece of tape around it and the motor at launch time.

With a little bit of modification can use same trick as saucer rocket (Tachyon Deflector?)

Extend motor mount all the way to inside of nose egg. Mount a cut off motor, or a self rolled tube of the same diameter, that fits inside the motor mount. Glue this to the inside of the nose egg, so that when you put nose on, this section slips into the motor mount, and the outer edge of the nose still shoulders into the edges of the base.

An added plus is that with the longer motor mount, your recovery system is less likely to come into contact with the ejection blast.

You need really good motor retention technique, as there is very little space between motor and the nose tube, so pressure builds up really fast. Even if you have a motor clip, not a bad idea to put a piece of tape around it and the motor at launch time.

I need to post some pics but I did shear pins. I glued cure fiberglass pieces to the inside of the lower portion and the outside of the upper portion. I then drilled them to allow 2-56 nylon screws to be pushed in. I did this in three spots evenly spaced. I did decent sized fiberglass pieces to distribute the shear load across more of the shell.

You make a good point though as I did just what we have discussed on the Tachyon Deflector. I have a pretty serious motor retention but I am wondering I should have used my T-Nut system. I could still use a threaded insert and epoxy it in. I will post some details on both of these as they took some unique approaches that may help others in their builds.

Other things that can be done with an egg.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/pix-thats-nuts-or-i-am-new-rocket-concept-build.58170/page-2

final-a-jpg.146675

Back