Someone Should Make a Scale Model of Rocket Lab's "Neutron" Rocket: It is so Flash Gordon!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockrwood

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Rocket Lab's "Neutron" rocket is very 1920's and 1930's "dieselpunk" looking! Reminds me of Flash Gordon's and Buck Rogers' rockets!

Someone should make a scale or semi-scale model of this nifty looking rocket!

Here is the webpage at Rocket Lab describing it:

https://www.rocketlabusa.com/launch/neutron/
I know just the company to ask to make a Flash Gordon-esque rocket: Pemberton Technologies!

Hey, @Pem Tech, watcha think? Would Pemberton Technologies consider making a "Neutron" or "Neutron-esque" model rocket?

Rocket Lab's "Neutron" rocket is very 1920's and 1930's "dieselpunk" looking! Reminds me of Flash Gordon's and Buck Rogers' rockets!

Someone should make a scale or semi-scale model of this nifty looking rocket!

Here is the webpage at Rocket Lab describing it:

https://www.rocketlabusa.com/launch/neutron/
I know just the company to ask to make a Flash Gordon-esque rocket: Pemberton Technologies!

Hey, @Pem Tech, watcha think? Would Pemberton Technologies consider making a "Neutron" or "Neutron-esque" model rocket?

Ahhhh *blush*
And Oh! That is pretty shweet. Thanks for the heads-up and the kind thoughts.
Everyone knows I love a challenge.
Wish I had Rocksim on my work computer.

I don't know HOW that thing is stable!

But looks like a long nose cone attached directly to a tail cone with no tube at all.

It actually is similar to an old build of mine. The rough dimensions work well for a 2.56" NC and 2.56" BT transitioned to a 3.1" BT with a TC. There just happens to be a bag of CRs in the chest that will make this work. But will have to make the cluster rings.

How does this look?

7x 13mm mini engine cluster is pretty close to scale in a BT80 body tube according to the 3D model (and leaves lot of potential for weight in nose cone). Not sure if I would 3D print or build up 3D fins with plywood or balsa...

1646829091248.png

Ugh... probably should have done the OpenRocket modeling before the 3D modeling... I was optimistic that there would be enough fin surface area to make this stable but does not seem promising. This does not model drag of the triangular fin design and I did not put anything in to account for base drag so just a first cut rough estimate. I was kinda wondering if those feet at bottom of the fins could be made to slide out of the main fins and back to extend the fins backwards a few inches. Some trick like this might be critical if you do not want to load a ton of weight in nose.

1646829934995.png

How does this look?

7x 13mm mini engine cluster is pretty close to scale in a BT80 body tube according to the 3D model (and leaves lot of potential for weight in nose cone). Not sure if I would 3D print or build up 3D fins with plywood or balsa...

View attachment 508420

Ugh... probably should have done the OpenRocket modeling before the 3D modeling... I was optimistic that there would be enough fin surface area to make this stable but does not seem promising. This does not model drag of the triangular fin design and I did not put anything in to account for base drag so just a first cut rough estimate. I was kinda wondering if those feet at bottom of the fins could be made to slide out of the main fins and back to extend the fins backwards a few inches. Some trick like this might be critical if you do not want to load a ton of weight in nose.

View attachment 508421
Good job on the sims. wondering if a triangular cross section on the fins would yield a bit more fin area? Whatever happens there shall be nose ballast! Speaking of nose cones, this one would be an expensive custom job, 3-D printed or a balsa cone with a H&ll of a lot of sanding.
Hey @brockrwood! Thanks for bringing this to our attention, I completely missed this one. Great potential here.

Would putting Worksim on your rocket computer be close enough?

Finally, Rocksim 10 is showing on my new Mac, live and in color!
Here is a quick first approximation of the Neutron Star. Not a scale rendition, by any means, just my twist on a cool look.
There is something about the Fin Feet that doesn’t seem Kosher, they added a little too much stability when added. But have to work in more stability.
Rocksim:
Neutron Star.png

Well dang, the 3D image won't export.
20220313_143827.jpg

Rough and dirty build. BT70 NC from the old Semroc, TC80 cut from a mystery PNC80, buggered (crinkles) card stock transition and a few CRs for flavoring. Didn't have time to deal with the canards and fins before the dog twisted my back and the wife scratched my glasses. Down for the count today.

Could I get away with a bit of a compromise and convert the middle portion into a BT80 body tube?

View attachment 508281

1647211008892.png

Sure you could, but then it wouldn't be "Scale"... I guess that's a "No" vote. :dontknow:
But you could make it a one off and name it Chilly Willy.. lol​
Chilly Willy.jpg

How does this look?

View attachment 508420

View attachment 508421

Now that looks good! Apply the base drag hack to it, it certainly fit's the criteria! Let us know if it sim's as stable.​
RocketLab Neutron Big Mac Daddy.png

Last edited:
I am thinking of revisiting this rocket and maybe 3D printing parts in the coming weeks... Planning an 18mm engine in center surrounded by 6x 13mm mini engines.

1655860721059.png

Should I try to make the nose cone open up like a Demogorgon to eject payload and parachute? I was wondering about maybe making my 4oz weight look like that little satellite with its own chute.

1655860841468.jpeg

Lastly, any creative thoughts about how to increase stability? For example, what do you think of having the side fins extend backwards from inside the triangle fins above?

1655860606159.png

Back