Some RC Rocket Planes...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my latest, 48" long, 12oz RTF, waiting for maiden this weekend. Made from 6mm depron, 24mm mount, sharpie pens for panel lines and monokote self adhesive trim
for markings plus a few stars/bars from sig and some vinyl lettering, nothing exotic. Full flying tail for roll/pitch control the wings are fixed. Bottom plate to stiffen the fuse and give
some "top view" width to the model, due to the wings being on the bottom, I couldn't do a normal cruciform and still support the wings, so the bottom plate had to be a bit shorter
since the nose curves upward.

Enjoy.

Frank

CIMG0606.jpg

CIMG0607.jpg

Last edited:
It's good to see Frank back in hobby rocketry. I am still lovin' his IRIS! Thanks for coming back, Frank!

Hey, glad to be back, I'm having a lot of fun combining the two hobbies!

That Iris was probably my best scratch built highpower rocket, I gave it to a friend of mine and it was destroyed in a CATO of an experimental motor at black rock:(

Frank

It's good to see Frank back in hobby rocketry. I am still lovin' his IRIS! Thanks for coming back, Frank!

I really enjoy the videos especially the BOMARC :) It's a neat combination of hobbies and I thank you for bringing it here :)
Cheers
fred

Hey, that looks good, just like I would do:) If you set up your electronics so that you have velcro tabs on the esc and wiring, you can then just click in the motor, and velcro the esc and wiring down and hook it up to the RX. Once you have that, you can use the same bundle to power any number of planes, so you don't have to invest in the motor/esc any more. That's what I did. The Deltas are great rocket gliders, same as a Draken, or a number of other delta designs, thanks for posting this.

Frank

Hey, glad to be back, I'm having a lot of fun combining the two hobbies!

That Iris was probably my best scratch built highpower rocket, I gave it to a friend of mine and it was destroyed in a CATO of an experimental motor at black rock:(
Sorry to hear about the demise of the IRIS. By the way, Frank, I was able to grab a 99.9% complete copy of your old edu website if you would be interested in getting it back. Lots of neat stuff there. I downloaded it to go with your old website review. It is parked athttps://www.rocketryplanet.com/misha.ee.washington.edu/~burkefj/sub/rocketpage.html

Wow, super, I'll check it out, thanks a bunch.

Frank

Sorry to hear about the demise of the IRIS. By the way, Frank, I was able to grab a 99.9% complete copy of your old edu website if you would be interested in getting it back. Lots of neat stuff there. I downloaded it to go with your old website review. It is parked

Is the Vulcan bomber or the Canadian arrow a good candidate for this sort of project. How hard are these things to create and fly?
Cheers
fred

Fred, I've done an arrow and plans are posted on my rcgroups blog(burkefj)
They are very straight forward to build. Print out sheets, tape together cut out, trace on foam, cut out, do a little edge sanding(no airfoil required) and glue together the sides, glue on wing, hinge elevons, and install electronics. They take a day or two to put together if you spend a few hours each night. As for flying, compared to most other rc planes they can fly very fast and very slow and are not difficult, if you haven't flown any rc planes, or can't land a simple rc plane or get confused, you don't want to start with one of these, but if you can fly a trainer type plane and not get confused with directions, these are straight forward, they do not land like you would expect a jet to land, much slower and much more forgiving.
Once you've done one or two, and get the idea then you can apply the same idea to pretty much anything.

Only isue I see with a vulcan is it is fairly short, so you have to watch your tail weight(motor) be able to get your CG correct without having to add a lot of nose weight, and getting a high wing loading. The wings are long also and if you build it too large a span you have to watch wing flex with a simple plate wing like I use. Something in the 30" range would be reasonable.

I normally use the same battery I use for electric flying to ignite the rocket via the xmitter, the aerotech E-6 weighs slightly less than my pusher motor, so my CG for launch is just rearward of flight cg which is ok for initial boost, and the end CG is just slightly forward which is also ok, since I already need the battery on the plane for CG I use it to light the motor. In the 8 or 9 that I've done that fly on both electric or rocket, I do not have to change my battery position at all when I switch between rocket and electric, I did do that on my Mach 10, simply because I was able to use a lighter battery for rocket boost and still have the correct CG.

Frank

Is the Vulcan bomber or the Canadian arrow a good candidate for this sort of project. How hard are these things to create and fly?
Cheers
fred

Last edited:
Fred, I've done an arrow and plans are posted on my rcgroups blog(burkefj)
They are very straight forward to build. Print out sheets, tape together cut out, trace on foam, cut out, do a little edge sanding(no airfoil required) and glue together the sides, glue on wing, hinge elevons, and install electronics. They take a day or two to put together if you spend a few hours each night. As for flying, compared to most other rc planes they can fly very fast and very slow and are not difficult, if you haven't flown any rc planes, or can't land a simple rc plane or get confused, you don't want to start with one of these, but if you can fly a trainer type plane and not get confused with directions, these are straight forward, they do not land like you would expect a jet to land, much slower and much more forgiving.
Once you've done one or two, and get the idea then you can apply the same idea to pretty much anything.

Only isue I see with a vulcan is it is fairly short, so you have to watch your tail weight(motor) be able to get your CG correct without having to add a lot of nose weight, and getting a high wing loading. The wings are long also and if you build it too large a span you have to watch wing flex with a simple plate wing like I use. Something in the 30" range would be reasonable.

I normally use the same battery I use for electric flying to ignite the rocket via the xmitter, the aerotech E-6 weighs slightly less than my pusher motor, so my CG for launch is just rearward of flight cg which is ok for initial boost, and the end CG is just slightly forward which is also ok, since I already need the battery on the plane for CG I use it to light the motor. In the 8 or 9 that I've done that fly on both electric or rocket, I do not have to change my battery position at all when I switch between rocket and electric, I did do that on my Mach 10, simply because I was able to use a lighter battery for rocket boost and still have the correct CG.

Frank

Well thats some great info thanks man :) I have not flown R/c much so maybe I'll wait but man your stuff looks great so maybe I'll have to get out more with that stuff this year :)
Cheers
Fred

Back