Soller Composites fiberglass sleeve size.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoldYourOwn

Reaction score
I'm wanting to glass a 4in paper tube with one of Soller Composites fiberglass sleeves. They sale a 4in light 1.85 Min diameter to 4.6 max Diameter sleeve. They also sell a 5in light 2.6 Min Diameter to 5.6 Max Diameter. Was wanting to get some feedback on which one to buy.

The larger of the two you listed will be easier to deal with, as for sizing they work like a chinese finger trap...pull then ends taught and the tube shrinks diameter, scrunch the ends toward middle and the sleeve gets larger diameter. Epoxy is applied AFTER the sleeve is on the tube usually otherwise its a bitch to get them on and properly sized.

I would just call Soller Composites and ask. Beats listening to a bunch of people just guessing.
Not a guess, I have used their sleeves a number of times, if its a 4" tube you can use the smaller one but its harder to work with getting it on the tube, the larger of the two the OP specified is easier to get on the tube, both will work and create a nicely finished project, but the larger sleeve will be easier to work with I MY EXPERIENCE. If you buy the smaller sleeve remember to buy a fair bit of extra length so that as it opens up the sleeve gets shorter in length, with the larger sleeve buy a little extra so you have "tails" to work with.

The pictures included are of two tubes done simultaneously on a rotisserie using 3d printed end caps and spacers, the end caps were covered with clear packing tape to keep epoxy from sticking and the ends of the tubes were trimmed up when the epoxy was cured to the leather stage (pliable yet not very tacky). The tubes have not been sanded or clear coated only epoxy has been applied in the photos. How the weave changes as the sleeve shrinks in diameter is visible in the first photo.

20200424_193453.jpg20200425_142138.jpg20200425_142148.jpg

Last edited:
Not a guess, I have used their sleeves a number of times, if its a 4" tube you can use the smaller one but its harder to work with getting it on the tube, the larger of the two the OP specified is easier to get on the tube, both will work and create a nicely finished project, but the larger sleeve will be easier to work with I MY EXPERIENCE. If you buy the smaller sleeve remember to buy a fair bit of extra length so that as it opens up the sleeve gets shorter in length, with the larger sleeve buy a little extra so you have "tails" to work with.

The pictures included are of two tubes done simultaneously on a rotisserie using 3d printed end caps and spacers, the end caps were covered with clear packing tape to keep epoxy from sticking and the ends of the tubes were trimmed up when the epoxy was cured to the leather stage (pliable yet not very tacky). The tubes have not been sanded or clear coated only epoxy has been applied in the photos. How the weave changes as the sleeve shrinks in diameter is visible in the first photo.

View attachment 629766View attachment 629767View attachment 629768

View attachment 629766View attachment 629767View attachment 629768
Thanks!! Love the set up you got!!! I've been using a tumbler roller. I need to add a bearing roller at the other end of mine for longer tubes!!

Back