Soda anyone?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't quite see what they were doing with the parachute. No ejection charge for deployment. Pitch the extra weight for the para chute, use packing tape to hold cardboard fins on and you should get better results.

I didn't understand that either? No charge to blow the laundry didn't make sense?

Way way way too much work and $$$$ for something you could easily surpass with a $19 starter set.

With those "results," I am not sure I'd put out a YouTube video.

:y::y::y:

True....just found it interesting.

Yeah they did through a lot of work on that project...

If he had kept the fins on, the rocket may well have gone significantly higher. Instability probably helped to keep the altitude low. It's a high drag item in any event, though.

I don't understand the deal with the chute either. For one thing, 36" seems to be awfully large for something with an empty weight of probably a few ounces. That's excess weight that wasn't needed. On the other hand, a little bit of weight in the nose could help to lengthen the coast before apogee. Second, the parachute might have deployed if the rocket had a design that facilitated drag separation, which this one didn't. Otherwise, it would have needed a pressure-initiated spring system to pop the two sections apart and expose the chute.

I think they traded performance for simplicity, creating a design that could be outlined in just a few pages in a magazine. Nothing wrong with that; he got results that were commensurate with the effort and expense. This could provide some funtime backyard launching without drawing complaints from the neighbors.

Back