Snow, snow, snow

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CJ,

I can't believe the snow hasn't melted yet! I can see my entire front lawn and my back lawn. At one point it have over 38" of snow on it. Today's dusting was nothing!

Edward

Originally posted by heada
See, thats the funny thing. The entire city here has pretty much shut down (not officially, but still...) and at 4:30PM this afternoon, my doorbell rings. Its UPS with my order of snap ring pliers that I ordered in the wee early hours on Monday from McMaster. Gotta love it. They delivered when the Postal Service didn't.

I have a 1lb bar of nice dark chocolate you're more than welcome to (I don't care for dark chocolate, but have it for baking purposes). I'll accept rocket motors in trade. :)

-Aaron

In that case you can hand it to the next UPS person you see. On the outside in big letters write LISA'S BLIZZARD RELIEF, ILLINOIS. I'll have to think of an alternative delivery method for the motors, won't I? ;)

As aside, when my daughter was about 4 she once saw a UPS guy head to his truck and yelled "Look, it's the chocolate man!" Brown uniform, brown truck, the only deliveries she remembered were from my aunt who alway sent German chocolate...

I hope you are all safe but quite frankly I see more snow in a week then a lot of folks down south see in a year :) Today was a scorching minus 31C and in the wind -41C. For those of you who still measure with cubits or fahrenheit thats darn cold and the snow is up to my keester :)
Cheers
fred

Snow ?

What snow ??

Last time we had snow down here in Tampa Bay area, it
was one night back in 1989 (or was it 1990?) and lasted a good three hours on the ground...

A friend of mine made a snowball that night and she still has it bagged in her freezer, a genuine Florida Suncoast snowball...

BTW, on the downside we don't need any snow - our roads are
'demolition derby' 24 / 7 rain or shine...
:p

At least on the upside of things, I'm "working from home" for a few days.
While I still have to respond to pages and keep outlook open to read emails, I found a little time to work on some rockets. :)

Can't do that when I'm at work! :D :D :D

YAY!! NO school!!! :D :D

OR SNOW :mad: :kill: GGRR!! But hey, at least I won
t miss any of the DSC rocket challenge :D

thanx, Ben

Originally posted by roadkill

That's 'cuz you guys in Florida have that ever dangerous mix of old farts who need to turn in their liscenses, who hog the left lane at 40 mph and impatient teeners who pass without looking....:p

Joe W

Originally posted by ben
YAY!! NO shool!!! :D :D

Same...except we actually got snow up here.:D Finally, I have some good quality time to work on some BoRocks! stuff.:D :D

We're getting our first snow in a LONG time right now in GA! It's 30 degrees and flurrying, building up a little on cars but is pretty sure not to stick to the ground... it's so little it doesn't even show up on the Weather Channel website forecast. But it IS snow! Looks like grits. :D Y'all know what grits are don't ya?

Just noticed it's supposed to be 40 degrees by 3 o clock so this is DEFINITELY going to be short lived.

Originally posted by roadkill

We're getting our first real snow of the year (projecting 12-18"). Not bad, we'll be all cleaned up by morning. A foot and a half up here is just a frustration, not much more.

HOWEVER...

I'm heading into town this morning, 4" of snow on the ground with sleet and freezing rain on top of that and what do I see in front of me????

A 4-door sedan, covered in ice and snow, a little hole carved in the snow in the middle of the windshield and...

...Flordia plates...

ACK!

oh man, give me a ton of snow mixed with ice, rain and whatever else you can throw at me but DEAR GOD man, not *that*! :D

Needless to say, I backed off and pulled over for a min... LOL

My first year in Florida (I lived south of Daytona Beach when I went to high school) we had snow. about an inch. It was a hoot. Crippled the state...

Originally posted by fred22
I hope you are all safe but quite frankly I see more snow in a week then a lot of folks down south see in a year :) Today was a scorching minus 31C and in the wind -41C. For those of you who still measure with cubits or fahrenheit thats darn cold and the snow is up to my keester :)
Cheers
fred

Fun fact:

-40C=-40F. So, -41C = -41.8F.

How much snow have you gotten anyways? Because there are probably some in new york who would dispute some of those claims. Heck - if you're getting more in a week than we have gotten in colorado all year, then you must be under one heck of a snow mountain...

Wind makes everything worse. Got 10cm (about 4" ) overnight and should get the same today and Wednesday night.

Got off lucky considering what everyone else is getting.

No snow day so sent the kids to school. :)

Lol, I have off right now and there's only about 1-2" of snow on the ground. But the bottom layer is all compact snow/ice.

Originally posted by cjl
Fun fact:

How much snow have you gotten anyways? Because there are probably some in new york who would dispute some of those claims. Heck - if you're getting more in a week than we have gotten in colorado all year, then you must be under one heck of a snow mountain...

I'm buyin it... I used to live in one little part of Montana that's supposed to be the coldest city in the continental US, and it got full on blizzards dang near every day (during winter), STAYED -20f for a few months with dips down to -50f!

Believe it or not, I used to shovel snow DAILY in a t shirt in -20f... it just got too dang hot in my meat locker suit while doing all that work!

Originally posted by cjl
Fun fact:

Hi CJ :)
The snow is up to my keester as i walked through it last night to recover a rocket I launched for some tourists :) Admittedly I have rather short legs. The snow in a week thing is a laugh thing. It's pretty darn cool up here and I am somewhat amused by those down south when they talk about old man winter :) The fahrengheit thing was just a litle joke about the fact the grand republic is the only place on earth that still uses the old system of measurement. All meant in good fun . :)
Cheers
fred

Agreed - I wish we would start using a sensible system of measurement :rolleyes:

As for snow up to the keester - yeah, that can be fun :)

And yes, it's STILL snowing here in colorado :kill: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by cjl
Agreed - I wish we would start using a sensible system of measurement :rolleyes:

As for snow up to the keester - yeah, that can be fun :)

And yes, it's STILL snowing here in colorado :kill: :rolleyes:

Did the district close the schools for like weeks now?:confused:

Nah. We only close for BIG storms. So far, we've had 2 snow days. On the bright side, not as many cars are in ditches now, as people have had practice driving in the snow.

Big storms? My district closed down because of a mere 1-2 inches. Lol, but ben's district closed down because of a whopping 0" of snow.:p ;)

Heh :D

Yeah - we've had to go to school with >1 foot of snow on the ground several times. Normally, it'll be closed if there are 2 or 3 feet though.

Hi CJ :)
The snow is up to my keester as i walked through it last night to recover a rocket I launched for some tourists :) Admittedly I have rather short legs. The snow in a week thing is a laugh thing. It's pretty darn cool up here and I am somewhat amused by those down south when they talk about old man winter :) The fahrengheit thing was just a litle joke about the fact the grand republic is the only place on earth that still uses the old system of measurement. All meant in good fun . :)
Cheers
fred

Yes, you get more snow than me in Chicagoland.
Yes, it gets colder where you are than here.
Doesn't mean I'm not going to complain!

(how many cubits in a keester again?)

Originally posted by jj94
Big storms? My district closed down because of a mere 1-2 inches. Lol, but ben's district closed down because of a whopping 0" of snow.:p ;)

Last week our schools closed due to "cold and transportation problems". Rumor has it that they plugged in the buses but someone forgot to flip the switch.:kill:

Well lets see cubits in a keester ? less then a verst more like 1.5 sazhen perhaps :) It also depends on whether you are using Sumerian nippur , Royal Egyptian cubits or pacific northwest :)
Cheers
Fred

I got to go out in -10 temps last night ( 10:00) to shovel out our driveway so my cousin could make it up (we have a long, curvy, driveway on a hill).... :eek:

the drifts we have around here are crazy, on top of the 2 feet of snow that just got dumped.

Well lets see cubits in a keester ? less then a verst more like 1.5 sazhen perhaps :) It also depends on whether you are using Sumerian nippur , Royal Egyptian cubits or pacific northwest :)
Cheers
Fred

This all reminds me of an Azimov story he tells from when he was in college. Seems a buddy of his was always getting in trouble because he was contantly mixing his term types in a single paper. He'd use Deg F in one paragraph and Deg C in another, meters here and inches there, etc, etc.

Finally the professor had had enough and told him that if he wasn't consistant, start to finish, on his next paper that he would get an F.

His next paper (something on velocity) was done in furlongs per fortnight... He was consistant and he got his A... LOL

“The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it.” - Grandpa Simpson (roughly converts to 432 beers per mile I think...)

-Aaron

Back