Snecma C-450 Coléoptère

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad for the update, as it bumped the thread up to where I saw it, and it was a good read that I missed last year. Nice job of a scale build. At first I didn't realize the original was meant as a horizontal flyer and thought "Oh my God, that's a huge ring! He could make it a quarter the height and it'd still be plenty big enough while reducing the aft end weight." But then, scale is scale.

Cut off the external dowel parts and sand it down to the surface, once primed and painted you won’t even see the holes, and Bob’s your uncle!
Bob Smith, that is.

I'm glad for the update, as it bumped the thread up to where I saw it, and it was a good read that I missed last year. Nice job of a scale build. At first I didn't realize the original was meant as a horizontal flyer and thought "Oh my God, that's a huge ring! He could make it a quarter the height and it'd still be plenty big enough while reducing the aft end weight." But then, scale is scale.

Bob Smith, that is.

The tail sitters are so interesting -- basically developed in an era when bombing airstrips resulted in grounding an air force. VTOL to fighter-plane like flight was the dream, somewhere I think it mentioned swarms of these just taking off from anywhere around a city to defend the skies.

I did take a little liberty with the length of the body tube -- I pulled the nose cone forward about 2cm to help make this stable.

Last edited:
This is so cool, happy it got bumped! This reminds me of the ship they repaired in the cartoon movie Titan A.E.....

Back