Sirius Saturn V

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That makes my life so much easier if it is PML tubing. What is your confidence level?

Well I thought that's what David told me all those years ago when he was flying the prototype out at "Da Bong"...
I have the kit, but I've never opened it up...
Anyone want it? I'll sell it for a bit less than new, say 300.00 plus shipping... Kid needs college tuition money... :(

Sorry to post a sale in a regular thread. I was just typing and had a though pop up... I should have moved it to the Yard Sale. But, yes, I think it's sold. THANKS...
Paying for college is such fun...

Has anyone got one of the new kits yet???? Or are thay already gone:(
Release date changed to early February. No firm date, you'll just have to keep monitoring the site. And don't email him for a date, he has made it clear that he does not want that. Go to your bank, take out a loan.:D

On the new kit what changes have been made? I just found this thread and I haven't gone to the site yet just thought maybe you guys can share the details? From what I know Sirius makes some great kits and have yet to build one, but I will soon enough. It's a time management thing with me. Not sure if it will be the Saturn V, but he seriously has a lot of great choices.

Don't think he has it available yet. I looked last week and it was still out of stock.

Thinking about it . I have one built that I fly on special occasions. Wouldn't mind having one to save but putting down 500.00 to put it in the closet?

This kit is worth the $$. While I built it more-or-less per the instructions, here are a few of the things I did that aren't mentioned in the instructions, if I recall correctly:

- Filled all wraps with 30m epoxy while applying them. This makes them much tougher for handling & landing.
- Filled the vacuform tunnels with epoxy/balsa and/or epoxy/microbaloons before applying, to toughen them up.
- Reinforced the LM shroud on the inside with fiberglass tape & epoxy (I simply overlapped pieces of drywall mesh tape)
- Used 5' kevlar covered nylon webbing (rocketman) and 20' nylon shock cord instead of the elastic.
- Be prepared to add more nose weight if you want to fly on larger motors (my preferred motor is the J350).
- Used rustoleum white sandable primer & rustoleum enamel paint - lacquer paints didn't stick well to the plastic bits (I tried that first).
- Used Bare-Metal Foil for the SM, it's easier than masking/painting, and looks better than silver in my opinion
- Added a simple altimeter bay in the top section for electronic deployment, for wiring a single use ejection canister below the laundry - it's an expensive model to trust to motor ejection. I used an RRC2+ & 3D sled in the 54mm tube
- Contact Sirius with questions, Dave's glad to help
- Purchase an extra CM/LES - there's a lot of weight in that section, and if it doesn't land just right, the LES can get smushed

Things I'd do differently:
- Somehow reinforce the 4" tube above the transition, it's the weak point of the kit. It's plenty strong for nominal launches, but can't take a beating if something goes wrong during recovery (the 6" tube is very strong, doesn't need any reinforcement).

Enjoy your builds!

Very nice Brent. Any do's or don'ts that you can tell me? Thanks again, Dave.

Take your time. Reinforce the fin shrouds. I backed mine with some fiberglass cloth. I also used a thin walled light weight 98mm fiberglass tube instead of the cardboard parachute tube. There was a good build thread on the forum of one that was modified with a 54 and 4 29mm outboards.

Thanks, I have used fiberglass cloth and PVC cement before to reinforce plastic parts before. What do you use to activate the dry wall tape?

Back