Silcone Measuring Cups from Amazon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Kemker

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Purchased a set of silicone measuring cups from Amazon. They arrived today. Just used one of the smallest size to weigh some epoxy out to attach the last plywood fin on my DBRM.

Price was good. Product arrived in a smaller box than I expected, but everything fit. Sizes are useful for various resin projects I might have, including structural epoxy (see above), as well as measuring larger amounts for laminating. Tomorrow, we'll see how well the epoxy comes off them after curing. Included a silicone mat (sometimes known as a "slap mat" in the 3D resin printing community) to help keep your work area free from resin drips. Right now, the slap mat has the used spatula and cup resting on it.

I just wish I knew what the heck the finger cots they included are good for.

siliconMeasuringCups.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Purchased a set of silicone measuring cups from Amazon. They arrived today. Just used one of the smallest size to weigh some epoxy out to attach the last plywood fin on my DBRM.

Price was good. Product arrived in a smaller box than I expected, but everything fit. Sizes are useful for various resin projects I might have, including structural epoxy (see above), as well as measuring larger amounts for laminating. Tomorrow, we'll see how well the epoxy comes off them after curing. Included a silicone mat (sometimes known as a "slap mat" in the 3D resin printing community) to help keep your work area free from resin drips. Right now, the slap mat has the used spatula and cup resting on it.

I just wish I knew what the heck the finger cots they included are good for.

View attachment 577662

Definitely worth the price.

Used finger cots in organic lab, back when gloves were expensive. More convenient than gloves since all I was doing was picking up salt plates for infrared spectrometry.

Epoxy will also pop out of a polypropylene or polyethylene cup, but it's much easier to remove from silicone. Looks like a useful purchase!

UPDATE:

They have graduated markings on the side indicating volume in mL. Has been very handy for measuring Aeropoxy PR2032 and PH3660 volumetrically for my Warlok Easyglas lamination. Cleanup is quick and simple.

I've also used the smaller cups for weighing structural epoxy, such as West Systems G-Flex and Aeropoxy ES6209,

Very useful, indeed!

Hope they will work well for you. But I NEVER have anything silicone in my shop. Silicone is the nightmare paint projects fear. If you spray Amoral All anywhere near it will cause fisheyes in your paint.

Pro Amateur tip: Pop the hardened epoxy out of the container to check how well it was mixed. Lots of stickiness left behind? Next time mix a bit longer and more carefully. Scrape, mix, scrape, mix.

Hope they will work well for you. But I NEVER have anything silicone in my shop. Silicone is the nightmare paint projects fear. If you spray Amoral All anywhere near it will cause fisheyes in your paint.
I'd say that's a good reason for keeping Armor All out of the shop. I have a hard time figuring out how an item molded into a solid, yet flexible, form can cause fisheyes. Have you had experience with silicone cups/beakers/mats causing fisheyes in paint? Or, is it just a guilt-by-association with Armor All?

What in the world is TIL????
Today I Learned.

I was still a bit skeptical, so I checked with my sister, who used to be the Area Paint Industrial Engineer for GM's Doraville plant, and later worked for Akzo-Nobel in their automotive finish division. She confirms that silicone mixing cups can cause fisheyes.

I bought a huge stack of polyproplyene weighing dishes; we used those at work. I always mix well, transfer to another cup, mix again, degas, and use. As Terry said, the remnant in the cup tells you how well you mixed. If it never hardens, you know the other won't. You don't have to wonder. :) Several things can cause various epoxies to not harden. RTV won't harden if it comes in contact with latex. A box of rubber bands shut down production once, lol. We had nitrile rubber bands, lol.
When I screwed up my first engine mix, I didn't add enough hardener, and the exemplar in the dish told me so, lol.

Those semi opaque condiment cups you get from a deli with your pickles to go are perfect for epoxy. Also the cup from individual packed applesauce works as well. Epoxy does not stick to it. You could probably get a manager to give you a handful of them for free. I also use them for mixing nitro-lacquer with talc to make sanding sealer. The stuff left in there dries up and you can peel it right off.

I know plastic is bad for everything/everyone, but I use the plastic bathroom cups from Walmart. I figure the little bit of plastic is no worse than the little bit of epoxy that goes with it.

Back