Shrike-Kestral Two stage 14 inch black powder staging

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Had to come up with name, thinking since two stage, something along the lines of a double name as Nike-Ajax. I liked Shrike-Kestral, so that's what I used.

continued success with long gap black powder staging. Again next challenge is preventing ballistic return of the long booster. I had two pods that "straddle" the booster-sustainer interface. I went with two so I could maintain symmetry, but I think one larger one would have worked better. I had two streamers, but I guess the weight of the 1/2 pod segments on the front of the booster were too much for the streamers, as the lower stage (is the lower stage the SECOND part of the name, like for Nike Ajax is the AJAX part the booster, or is that what they just named the whole missile), anyhooo, the Kestral Lower stage unfortunately came in ballistic. I will either need a bigger pods maybe with parachutes? I am a bit concerned the sustainer will singe the parachutes at separation, I may have to use a "wadding burrito" around the chutes to protect them from the momentary exposure to the sustainer propellant burn.

The sustainer/Shrike had a nice flight and recovery. I did have a heck of a lot of weather cocking on this flight, I need to play with RockSim and see what I can do, I think I am heavily oversizing the booster fins.

One of my later projects will be to see if I can get the booster to backward glide recovery (or even regular glider recovery)

https://patents.google.com/patent/US6926576

Attachments

• Shrike_KestralPad1.jpg
    Shrike_KestralPad1.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 93
  • Shrike_KestralPad2.jpg
    Shrike_KestralPad2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Shrike_KestralPad3.jpg
    Shrike_KestralPad3.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 80
I had a booster glide recovery by accident once. It flew nicely....right into the trees, never to be seen again.

Back