Should i use this launch area?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckandcover

Reaction score
There is a huge town recreational center with 6 baseball fields, 3 soccer fields, tennis and basketball courts, a good size parking lot usually almost empty except for events. The problem is walking
paths zig zag through the park and a few people can be using it even during the week. Would you use this place? I called the office a few days ago and got a leave a message recording and they haven't
called back about permission. If you folks say go for it i'll be sure to get permission first..

Definitely go for it! That said you need to have some realistic expectations. Many municipal parks and rec centers have invested $$$$$$ in their manicured athletic facilities. Many have prohibited any sort of fixed wing, rotor, or reaction powered aerial hobbies. Also the landscape may present some hazard such as fences, lighting posts and water features. If you do get permission you'll want to be realistic about keeping things in the field, in other words, keeping in the lower range of A-C powered flight.

Last edited:
There is a huge town recreational center with 6 baseball fields, 3 soccer fields, tennis and basketball courts, a good size parking lot usually almost empty except for events. The problem is walking
paths zig zag through the park and a few people can be using it even during the week. Would you use this place? I called the office a few days ago and got a leave a message recording and they haven't
called back about permission. If you folks say go for it i'll be sure to get permission first..

Does it have light poles all around it? Rockets seek those out.

I'd hesitate to even ask for permission. Unless there are rules or ordinances saying you can't launch model rockets, you probably can. Asking for permission gives some paper-pusher the chance to tell you not to do something you could otherwise do.

After all, why are you asking permission to do something unless you think there's a reason you shouldn't be doing it?

I'd hesitate to even ask for permission. Unless there are rules or ordinances saying you can't launch model rockets, you probably can. Asking for permission gives some paper-pusher the chance to tell you not to do something you could otherwise do.

After all, why are you asking permission to do something unless you think there's a reason you shouldn't be doing it?

That makes sense if it's public land, but not if it's private or semi-private.

That's true. I assumed the OP was referring to public land, as his original post mentioned a town recreational center.
I've got a couple of those in my area, and one of them is only semi-public. I generally prefer to ask forgiveness about use of public land, but I figured I'd add the caveat.

It sounds fine, and....
"It is better to ask forgiveness than permission"
I've advocated this approach in the past but lately, in my neck of the woods, I've come around to think an adult discussion with stakeholders is sometimes the wise course. Alternatives can come to light that may not have been considered. We ARE playing with fire and that's no joke.

You could look up your city, town etc., code of ordinances. Search for model rockets. If nothing comes up I'd fly there and if ever questioned tell them you checked codes and did not find any prohibiting model rockets.

Last edited:
I guess my concern is from my using a metal detector on public land and the crazy things i have run into. Like a state park tell me i have to take
valuables to the office and they hold it 30 days. What makes a valuable? i know property like land or a building that says historic is something
you don't screw with. Anyway, I forgot the town has a field it uses for the hot air balloon festival to setup and take off..

You could look up your city, town etc., code of ordinances. Search for model rockets. If nothing comes up I'd fly there and if ever questioned tell them you checked codes and did not find any prohibiting model rockets.

I generally fall in line with this.

Edit: If you act like you are doing something wrong, the person asking the question will assume you are doing something wrong.

Just be honest. If they have rules, best to get this straight as soon as possible.

I guess my concern is from my using a metal detector on public land and the crazy things i have run into. Like a state park tell me i have to take
valuables to the office and they hold it 30 days. What makes a valuable? i know property like land or a building that says historic is something
you don't screw with. Anyway, I forgot the town has a field it uses for the hot air balloon festival to setup and take off..
Metal detecting and flying model rockets are very different (in terms of feeling the need to ask for permission) and there are several reasons for this.

One, some types of public lands specifically prohibit metal detecting, whether by statute, regulation or case law. Such prohibitions can exist for model rocketry, but I'm under the impression they're far less common.

Two, metal detecting will inherently involve the modification of the land, ie digging. Assuming you clean up after yourself after a launch, no such "alteration" of the land takes place with model rockets.

Three, there are no "archies" or academics that are opposed to the hobby of model rocketry (that I'm aware of). None of this, "but wait, you can't fly that rocket until some history or archeaology professor looks at the rocket first!" arguments to worry about with model rocketry.

Four, it's easier for a metal detectorist (don't ask me how I know) to trigger a "Karen." How many people launch rockets carring a conceal pistol and wearing camo? I've never seen or heard of this happening. But metal detecting? It's a common occurence, unfortunately. Also, seeing some stranger walking around by himself carrying a shovel can be a bit more alarming to some, compared to someone carrying colorful plastic, cardboard and/or fiberglass.

Five, the average "civilian" thinks metal detectorists might get rich with a find. Most metal detectorists know that this almost never happens and they hunt for the thrill of it, not to get rich. But I don't think the average "civilian" sees someone flying model rockets and thinks that person is about to get rich off of something they find on public land.

So I get your concern because of your metal detecting experience, but metal detecting is a hobby (unfortunately) that's more likely to draw side eye from someone compared to model rocketry...at least in my experience and from stories I've heard.

Last edited:
Go for it. Try to launch during the week on school days.

People walking around will still be a problem though, as nobody goes to work anymore and they all have dogs!

Back