Shock Cord Mounting (LOC)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by Mad Rocketeer
Any further advice from anyone, based on my two sets of questions above? The more I know and the more opinion I've sifted through before I start gluing, the better.

Thanks.
I used the recommended mounting on my LOC Aura and while I was a little concerned as well, it works great. With this small diameter, I really didn't have maby other choices.

The LOC IV was my Level 1 cert rocket - it came with TTW fins, but I cut new through to the MT -- I basically did what you discussed, fillet inside and out. It flew fine. Second flight it hit the playa hard and loosened a fin a bit -- strengthened it with more epoxy and it's fine now.

I changed the shock cord mount on the LOC IV to an eye bolt on the rear CR -- I also added a third CR to help strengthen the fins. I used 12 feet of Kevlar instead of the supplied shock cord.

Hope this helps,
Rick

uhh, dont mine me asking but what is this type of attaching it? (i need a way to attach kevlar to a bt with a mmt in it already)

Originally posted by lalligood
Otherwise, what would you/I do if the shock cord broke/burned/needed to be replaced?!?

If you originally attached to a CR and the inside of the fwd BT is clear, you can easily attach a new tether to a short piece of coupler. Slide it in the front of the BT (dry) and all the way back against the CR (use a dowel if your fingers or hands don't fit), then add glue/epoxy/CR/name-yer-own-poison.

Hi Guys, I am resurrecting this thread because I need some help. I have a LOC 4 (3.9" diameter rocket) that I built with the shock cord epoxied to the inside of the body tube, per the instructions. It has worked fine so far but I have built it up for dual deploy and it now weighs in at about 6 1/2 pounds loaded, ready to fly.
I am now becoming more nervous about the shock cord mount. I could use a few ideas on how I can retro fit an eye bolt, wall anchor, or similar fastener to the top centering ring. Anybody out there ever have to do this?
Thanks ahead for your advice.
wick

howzabout this: instead of retrofitting the eyebolt to the top of the existing centering ring, get a 3.9" disk of 3/16" plywood and drill some holes in it, fit the eyebolt in the center, and glue it a small distance on top of the motor mount tube - voila, instant shock cord mount and bonus baffle plate for motor ejection.

Originally Posted by cls
howzabout this: instead of retrofitting the eyebolt to the top of the existing centering ring, get a 3.9" disk of 3/16" plywood and drill some holes in it, fit the eyebolt in the center, and glue it a small distance on top of the motor mount tube - voila, instant shock cord mount and bonus baffle plate for motor ejection.

I have to agree with Cliff on this one. I have been using baffles for years now and I quite frankly haven't found a better way. My HP Rockets utilize this same method of baffle but are made from 1/8" & 1/4" Aluminum.

My rule of thumb is: If I can't (comfortably) fit my hand in the BT, a baffle will be built in! When it comes time to change out the shockcord, I use a socket with a long extension through the motor tube to loosen the nut on the eyebolt and out comes the shockcord. Getting it back in can seem a bit tricky at first, but I find a nice long piece of 3/4" dowell with the end slotted makes it much easier to get in, and hold, while a fellow rocketeer tightens the nut.
Some of my rockets use a 2" wide bridal strap (made of seatbelt nylon buought at the Hardware store) that extends just a few feet out the BT to help prevent zippering and although it's really strong when it's new, it's still just nylon and burns quicker than Kevlar, which means I have to change it out more often. The use of a baffle makes it, in this case, very convienient.

Why is it?....the bigger the hands, the smaller the body tube :D :D :D
NAR #84102
TNRocketry

I used it on my first LOC kit, a graduater, and it worked fine... when my cousin got a LOC onyx I wanted to build it nicely for him, well the clay epoxy fillets were strong but didnt look amazing :D , but it looks pretty good and I used nylon accessory cord attached to the motor mount through a small hole in the forward ring, also, on my graduater I used 1/4" TN, not the supplied elastic...

Back