Shift in CP

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony

Reaction score
I am building a kit and modifying it be to be a 3 cluster. As a result of design I plan to change the rocket from a 4 fin design to a 3 fin. Is there any easy way or rule of thumb for estimating a shift in CP?

Doesn't Rocksim give you an estimate of CP? Don't know how accurate it is but you may want to check it out.

Which kit is it?

If it is very stable anyway, 3 fins will do. It does happen too, that the decrease in mass (3 instead of 4 fins) evens with the shift in CP. But I would double check.

Oliver

Tony.. let me know what kit it is.. and I can run it in Rock-Sim for ya... and let you know where the CP will be with 3 or 4 fins... can even do an estamint on the weight with the cluster for CG if you'd like.. if it's not a know'n kit.. Give me dia., lenght, basic dimentions of the fins and that should work for CP.

Clusters are awsome.

Thanks for offering assistance. I am modifying an Estes Beta Launch Vehicle. It has a BT-60. The nose cone for the rocket is not typical and has a transition. I entered the data into VCP but because of the odd nose cone shape I am not sure if it is accurate. I have attached a picture from an 1993 Estes catalog. Thanks for the help.

I can't seem to find any info on the rocket... if you give me some dimentions to work with.. that would help a lot. just do a really bad drawing in paint or something to the basic shape of the rocket and add the dimentions.

Back