Shear plates: on the nose cone or on the body tube?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckeye

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have 4" LOC cardboard tubing and a plastic nose cone. I'd like to put the brass shear plates (to cut nylon shear pins) on the inside of the body tube. However, the tube is very thin, and there is not much material to work with when carving out some material to mount the plate. The nose cone shoulder is beefier for carving out, of course, but bonding little pieces of brass to plastic can be a problem.

Wicking the holes in the cardboard with CA is not good enough, in my experience. Eventually the holes elongate or tear. I want a better cutting edge.

What is your preference?

Yes...
I put them in both pieces. That way I know the pin is cleanly sheared. Yes, it's a PITA, but the results are worth the effort.

and there is not much material to work with when carving out some material to mount the plate

Don't carve, cut. Use an xacto and peel away just enough to get the brass shim in there. I've done it on Estes PSII tubes, and the pins will start twisting the nosecone plastic before the plates show any sign of coming out of the tube

Back